Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My neighbor threatned to call CPS on me just because my ds is doing chores pretty much night and day

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

It's spring break for him (he's 12) and last week I gave him a list of about 100 chores to do. He has all the time in the world to do them and he doesn't even have to do most of them if he doesn't want to, but I said I'd pay him 5-20 bucks for all the different ones.

He just wants this xbox thing and 2 games that cost a ridiculous amount so he's working almost night and day, a lot of time in the yard or on the house.

Now my neighbor just came over and said she knows what I've been doing and she's going to call CPS on me for child slave labor!

What do I Do? Is she crazy or do I stop him from doing so much?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Replies (61-67):
DragonInfinity
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:22 PM

She needs to STFU! You are not doing anything wrong, he is working to get something he wants (like he will have to when he grows up and moves out, etc...)! She needs to keep her nose out of everyone elses business. Sorry momma that you have such a bi*chy neighbor.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safety in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming, "WOO HOO, what a ride!!!"

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:46 PM

But....100 chores? And spring break is like 9 days? How in the world could there even BE 100 chores ?

I am curious if these replies are a result of actually reading the OP's post or if everyone is jumping to conclusions and not realizing that it is 100 chores? working day and night?

The kid is earning several X boxes! Good grief!

People are crazy at CM.

momoftwo0406
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Ask her if she needs to use your phone. I'm sure she will go back home and just let it be. You arnt doing anything wrong an CPS won't give a damn about a kid doing things around the house. It's not like you are forcing him. Plus it will help him more responsible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acook0331
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:00 PM

The horror of a 12 year old doing chores! My parents made me do chores AND I didn't get paid. 

luckythreemom
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:02 PM
let her call. They won't do anything
4weeman
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Agreed

Quoting shellyplatz:

If she does call he is plenty old enough to explain why he is working hard.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
afwife2005
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:31 PM

He is old enough to have chores and earn an allowence for things he wants. I don't see an issue at all with him helping and learning reasponsibility

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)