Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this a good letter of concern to a nieghbor who let their pit play alone with their 3/4 y/o?

Posted by   + Show Post
I have neighbor who does not comply with Georgia state law and allows their pit to play alone with their VERY young child. I'm not into confrontation so I figured I'd send him a letter. He's always been really courteous so I'm trying my best not to offend him or make him upset. He's one of the fear friendly neighbors and quite I have let. My letter below in replies.

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Replies (31-40):
Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:50 PM
8 moms liked this

They can decide if there 3/4 year old can play alone with there dog. You do not write someone a letter telling them they can let there child play with there dog. No matter what breed it is. Any kind of animal can hurt someone. It has nothing to do with breed. 

happymama2D
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM
The look on her face in the bottom pic is priceless! Lol!

Quoting Erna2:

It's really none of your concern. My good friends have pit/boxers and my kids have been around them for years. They love the kids to death and they will not let anyone they don't know near the kids...

She really wanted to play with the kids....LOL!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lizardannie1966
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM
3 moms liked this

You ever so sweetly, professionally and even nicely threatened the man with an ultimatum and possible call to authorities if he doesn't follow through with it.

How do you expect this to play out? That he'll have a V-8 moment, thank you profusely and even tell all the neighbors of your courteous threat?

Or do you suppose he's gonna be a wee bit ticked off?

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM
I was out there a good 10 mins while my dog went to the bathroom. I never once saw him or herd his voice even when she went off their property with the dog.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thats just a bitch letter, you assume that the child was alone, You assume that the dog is dangerous, and youre threatening to report him. 

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Dear Neighbor,

Let me start off by saying, this letter is in no way meant to be harsh, rude, or condescending. I am simply writing you this to voice my concerns for the safety of the neighborhood.

You have always been kind and friendly and by far one of the most quiet and respectful members of our, sometimes crazy, community. You stick to yourself, are mindful of children playing in the street, ect. However, it has come to my attention that you have a large aggressive breed dog, which looks to be a pit, running loose. As you know there are many children in our neighborhood whom the dog could cross paths with, including your own very young child whom I observed playing, alone I assume, with the dog. I fear for their safety as well as the other animals that rom and play. Code: § 4-8-29. Unlawful acts by owner of a dangerous or vicious dog of  Georgia State law requires all breeds deemed dangerous are " muzzled and restrained by a leash not to exceed six feet in length and is under the immediate physical control of a person capable of preventing the dog from engaging any other human or animal" or be with "unattended with minors".

I completely understand these changes may take some time, however if April 17 passes and no changes are made I will be forced to alert authorities next time I see the pet without a muzzle and leash, roaming alone, or playing unattended with a minor. Violations of the previous laws come with a hefty fine and possible euthanization of the dog.

Thank you for your kindness and understanding my concern for the safety of our community. Your dog seems to be very fond of your child and does seem to be gentle with her, but I was just concerned for her safety as well as everyone in the community. Once again thank you so much for your kindness and consideration.

Your Neighbor

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Is the dog coming into your yard? Or are you paying way too much attention to what is going on in his yard?

CafeMom Tickers
nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM
4 moms liked this
She's not complaining because its a dog. She's complaining because its a big mean aggressive breed *rolls eyes* if she was just concerned about the dog being loose she would have left out all the aggressive breed and concern for their child nonsense. If it was a oh so friendly lab I doubt she would be writing the letter.

Quoting livelaughlov26:

Wrong. The dog is loose in her neighborhood. Yes it isher business.

Quoting nocalmegan:

I'd say its none of your business but that's just me. The letter isn't going to change anything.

Jeremmy
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Are there certain breeds listed in the law or does dangerous dog mean one that was deemed dangerous because it already attacked someone or something?

I personally wouldnt write a letter. it wont do anything but create animosity. any dog can hurt a person or animal. although pits are bred to attack other dogs, not humans...so really, i would worry less about a pit than i would a lap dog. those things can be vicious!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:52 PM
3 moms liked this
Just because it is a pit does NOT mean it is aggressive. Get off your high horse and stop assuming.
chaosmommy
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

This letter does sound VERY condescending.

Grow up and go talk to your neighbor.

Address your issues in a mature fashion and maybe you can acomplish something with out coming off as a wench.

THis comment is in no way meant to be harsh, rude or condescending.

Oh but wait, it probably does sound that way.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Dear Neighbor,

Let me start off by saying, this letter is in no way meant to be harsh, rude, or condescending. I am simply writing you this to voice my concerns for the safety of the neighborhood.

You have always been kind and friendly and by far one of the most quiet and respectful members of our, sometimes crazy, community. You stick to yourself, are mindful of children playing in the street, ect. However, it has come to my attention that you have a large aggressive breed dog, which looks to be a pit, running loose. As you know there are many children in our neighborhood whom the dog could cross paths with, including your own very young child whom I observed playing, alone I assume, with the dog. I fear for their safety as well as the other animals that rom and play. Code: § 4-8-29. Unlawful acts by owner of a dangerous or vicious dog of  Georgia State law requires all breeds deemed dangerous are " muzzled and restrained by a leash not to exceed six feet in length and is under the immediate physical control of a person capable of preventing the dog from engaging any other human or animal" or be with "unattended with minors".

I completely understand these changes may take some time, however if April 17 passes and no changes are made I will be forced to alert authorities next time I see the pet without a muzzle and leash, roaming alone, or playing unattended with a minor. Violations of the previous laws come with a hefty fine and possible euthanization of the dog.

Thank you for your kindness and understanding my concern for the safety of our community. Your dog seems to be very fond of your child and does seem to be gentle with her, but I was just concerned for her safety as well as everyone in the community. Once again thank you so much for your kindness and consideration.

Your Neighbor

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Is the dog running wild through the neighborhood, or only unleashed in his yard?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured