Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this a good letter of concern to a nieghbor who let their pit play alone with their 3/4 y/o?

Posted by   + Show Post
I have neighbor who does not comply with Georgia state law and allows their pit to play alone with their VERY young child. I'm not into confrontation so I figured I'd send him a letter. He's always been really courteous so I'm trying my best not to offend him or make him upset. He's one of the fear friendly neighbors and quite I have let. My letter below in replies.

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Replies (51-60):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I think the letter sounds nice. I think it's a good idea & if he dosn't fix the problem like putting up a fence like a responsible dog owner then call & report it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:58 PM
13 moms liked this
I just read Georgia state law on dangerous dogs, including the statute you quoted.

In order to be classified as a dangerous dog, the dog has to have bit someone or commited an act, making it a dangerous dog. The law is refering specifically to dogs that already have a documented history of aggression. Simply being a pit bull does not make it a dangerous dog, and this law does not apply
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:58 PM
I will not adress him in person. That may mean confrontation with him of his unleashed dog. The law is the law and I have every right to report with without the warning. I wanted to atleast let him know the laws and give him some time to correct the problem. I fear for the safety of my community.

Quoting Anonymous:

You can't be effing serious? I assume playing alone with his kid?

I'm all for following leash laws and I will be honest and say I am most definitely not a fan of pits and would absolutely want the dog to be leashed but your letter IS condescending and rude!! You'll report him to authorities if his dog isn't muzzled and on a certain length leash?

Aren't you adult enough to simple talk respectfully to your neighbor?

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Dear Neighbor,

Let me start off by saying, this letter is in no way meant to be harsh, rude, or condescending. I am simply writing you this to voice my concerns for the safety of the neighborhood.

You have always been kind and friendly and by far one of the most quiet and respectful members of our, sometimes crazy, community. You stick to yourself, are mindful of children playing in the street, ect. However, it has come to my attention that you have a large aggressive breed dog, which looks to be a pit, running loose. As you know there are many children in our neighborhood whom the dog could cross paths with, including your own very young child whom I observed playing, alone I assume, with the dog. I fear for their safety as well as the other animals that rom and play. Code: § 4-8-29. Unlawful acts by owner of a dangerous or vicious dog of  Georgia State law requires all breeds deemed dangerous are " muzzled and restrained by a leash not to exceed six feet in length and is under the immediate physical control of a person capable of preventing the dog from engaging any other human or animal" or be with "unattended with minors".

I completely understand these changes may take some time, however if April 17 passes and no changes are made I will be forced to alert authorities next time I see the pet without a muzzle and leash, roaming alone, or playing unattended with a minor. Violations of the previous laws come with a hefty fine and possible euthanization of the dog.

Thank you for your kindness and understanding my concern for the safety of our community. Your dog seems to be very fond of your child and does seem to be gentle with her, but I was just concerned for her safety as well as everyone in the community. Once again thank you so much for your kindness and consideration.

Your Neighbor

H.E.Smama
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:59 PM
3 moms liked this
Lmfao!! O nos a terrible pit quick hides da kids!!

Honestly your letter sounds bitchy and your ignorance is showing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:59 PM
I say you send a letter or let the police get involved. He dont care about his kid or other people...so its up to you.
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:00 PM
I'll site you when I get back on my lap top.

Quoting Anonymous:

I just read Georgia state law on dangerous dogs, including the statute you quoted.

In order to be classified as adangerous dog, the dog has to have bit someone or commited an act, making it a dangerous dog. The law is refering specifically to dogs that already have a documented history of aggression. Simply being a pit bull does not make it a dangerous dog, and this law does not apply
rockgal81
by Steph on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:01 PM
2 moms liked this
Has the dog showed aggression? If not, then mind your damn business! Geez!
justone_jen
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Does the law specify pits as an aggressive breed? Typically, those laws exist for specific animals (not breeds) who have a history of aggression/biting.
Cmgmqmmom
by Sass Queen on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:03 PM
I just read your state law you are quoting and it doesn't apply unless the dog has already been deemed unsafe because it has previously attacked. So you thinking it's vicious and it *actually* being so are two totally different things.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

I will not adress him in person. That may mean confrontation with him of his unleashed dog. The law is the law and I have every right to report with without the warning. I wanted to atleast let him know the laws and give him some time to correct the problem. I fear for the safety of my community.

Quoting Anonymous:

You can't be effing serious? I assume playing alone with his kid?

I'm all for following leash laws and I will be honest and say I am most definitely not a fan of pits and would absolutely want the dog to be leashed but your letter IS condescending and rude!! You'll report him to authorities if his dog isn't muzzled and on a certain length leash?

Aren't you adult enough to simple talk respectfully to your neighbor?

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Dear Neighbor,

Let me start off by saying, this letter is in no way meant to be harsh, rude, or condescending. I am simply writing you this to voice my concerns for the safety of the neighborhood.

You have always been kind and friendly and by far one of the most quiet and respectful members of our, sometimes crazy, community. You stick to yourself, are mindful of children playing in the street, ect. However, it has come to my attention that you have a large aggressive breed dog, which looks to be a pit, running loose. As you know there are many children in our neighborhood whom the dog could cross paths with, including your own very young child whom I observed playing, alone I assume, with the dog. I fear for their safety as well as the other animals that rom and play. Code: § 4-8-29. Unlawful acts by owner of a dangerous or vicious dog of  Georgia State law requires all breeds deemed dangerous are " muzzled and restrained by a leash not to exceed six feet in length and is under the immediate physical control of a person capable of preventing the dog from engaging any other human or animal" or be with "unattended with minors".

I completely understand these changes may take some time, however if April 17 passes and no changes are made I will be forced to alert authorities next time I see the pet without a muzzle and leash, roaming alone, or playing unattended with a minor. Violations of the previous laws come with a hefty fine and possible euthanization of the dog.

Thank you for your kindness and understanding my concern for the safety of our community. Your dog seems to be very fond of your child and does seem to be gentle with her, but I was just concerned for her safety as well as everyone in the community. Once again thank you so much for your kindness and consideration.

Your Neighbor

livelaughlov26
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Ugh yeah that's the point. Recently a little two year old girl was mauled to death by pitbulls. Children's safety is more important then trying to be polite to a neighbor.

Quoting nocalmegan:

She's not complaining because its a dog. She's complaining because its a big mean aggressive breed *rolls eyes* if she was just concerned about the dog being loose she would have left out all the aggressive breed and concern for their child nonsense. If it was a oh so friendly lab I doubt she would be writing the letter.

Quoting livelaughlov26:

Wrong. The dog is loose in her neighborhood. Yes it isher business.

Quoting nocalmegan:

I'd say its none of your business but that's just me. The letter isn't going to change anything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)