Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this a good letter of concern to a nieghbor who let their pit play alone with their 3/4 y/o?

Posted by   + Show Post
I have neighbor who does not comply with Georgia state law and allows their pit to play alone with their VERY young child. I'm not into confrontation so I figured I'd send him a letter. He's always been really courteous so I'm trying my best not to offend him or make him upset. He's one of the fear friendly neighbors and quite I have let. My letter below in replies.

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Replies (61-70):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:04 PM
3 moms liked this
Wow, you're a fucking trip lady! You have way too much time on your hands.
melschlegs
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:05 PM
4 moms liked this

Just for the record, pit bulls aren't "aggressive breed".  They're aggressive if RAISED to be, but they're not genetically predispositioned to be that way.

EvaTheDiva29
1 mom liked this

LOL! i like you, so i won't be rude. but just stop. 

justone_jen
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:05 PM
3 moms liked this
Yep, just looked at the statute. Simply being a pit doesn't deem the dog dangerous. This law is meant for dogs who have been registered as dangerous, not entire breeds.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MalakbelLacuna
1 mom liked this
I didnt read the letter and Im not going to
I will say this. Mind your own business.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
inmybizz
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I would not send the letter. If I saw the dog running loose I would call animal control and let them handle it.
Mel0dy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:06 PM

you must be fawking kidding

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Dear Neighbor,

Let me start off by saying, this letter is in no way meant to be harsh, rude, or condescending. I am simply writing you this to voice my concerns for the safety of the neighborhood.

You have always been kind and friendly and by far one of the most quiet and respectful members of our, sometimes crazy, community. You stick to yourself, are mindful of children playing in the street, ect. However, it has come to my attention that you have a large aggressive breed dog, which looks to be a pit, running loose. As you know there are many children in our neighborhood whom the dog could cross paths with, including your own very young child whom I observed playing, alone I assume, with the dog. I fear for their safety as well as the other animals that rom and play. Code: § 4-8-29. Unlawful acts by owner of a dangerous or vicious dog of  Georgia State law requires all breeds deemed dangerous are " muzzled and restrained by a leash not to exceed six feet in length and is under the immediate physical control of a person capable of preventing the dog from engaging any other human or animal" or be with "unattended with minors".

I completely understand these changes may take some time, however if April 17 passes and no changes are made I will be forced to alert authorities next time I see the pet without a muzzle and leash, roaming alone, or playing unattended with a minor. Violations of the previous laws come with a hefty fine and possible euthanization of the dog.

Thank you for your kindness and understanding my concern for the safety of our community. Your dog seems to be very fond of your child and does seem to be gentle with her, but I was just concerned for her safety as well as everyone in the community. Once again thank you so much for your kindness and consideration.

Your Neighbor

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this
No need I can cite myself

Georgia CodeTITLE 4 - ANIMALSCHAPTER 8 - DOGSARTICLE 2 - DANGEROUS DOG CONTROL§ 4-8-21 - Definitions

(1) "Dangerous dog" means any dog that, according to the records of an appropriate authority:
(A) Inflicts a severe injury on a human being without provocation on public or private property at any time after March 31, 1989; or
(B) Aggressively bites, attacks, or endangers the safety of humans without provocation after the dog has been classified as a potentially dangerous dog and after the owner has been notified of such classification.

Quoting ButterMeUp:I'll site you when I get back on my lap top.

Quoting Anonymous:I just read Georgia state law on dangerous dogs, including the statute you quoted.

In order to be classified as adangerous dog, the dog has to have bit someone or commited an act, making it a dangerous dog. The law is refering specifically to dogs that already have a documented history of aggression. Simply being a pit bull does not make it a dangerous dog, and this law does not apply
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Yea, that's not going to happen. I get jittery with I have to confront people. Hell I'm shaking now because such a vast amount of negative remarks. This is why I prefer the letter. I can agree all dogs can attack but his pit can kill my 3 pound puppy or me or my child.

Meh, I know a pit when I see one ;)

Quoting LivysMama:

Here is the thing. If you have concerns I think you should actually go to the man and talk. Many things can be misinterpreted in a letter. It will be better for you to talk it out.

I disagree with what you're doing because you seem to be doing it based on the breed of dog and that is honestly ignorant. ANY dog can be dangerous.

You have a right to be concerned about the dog running around, but I would not mention that your concern seems based entirely on the dog "looking like a pit."

vwd_johnson
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:08 PM
5 moms liked this
Would you write the same letter if this dog was a dolmation? A poodle? A chow?

Those one of the most dangerous dogs, but noooo Pits are the only ones singled out and it disgusts me. That pit is probably raised well and is in no way a threat more than your own dog.

Mind your own fucking business and stop assuming this dog is an "agressive" dog.

Smh...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN