Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much is appropriate?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
Dh was asked to be one of four godparents to his cousins baby. The baptism as well as the child's first birthday party are combined. Each of he godparents has been delegated certain items to provide for the combined event. I'm not sure what the other godparents are providing but so far we are up to $300, not including a gift for the child.

Considering the amount we've already spent, What's an appropriate amount to spend on a gift? Or should we consider out portion delegated, the gift?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:53 PM
You have to provide $300 worth of stuff and a gift? I'd not get a gift honestly. That's insane.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

You have to provide $300 worth of stuff and a gift? I'd not get a gift honestly. That's insane.

This is my reaction as well, but we don't have experience with this and werent sure what was customary.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this

What the heck are they expecting you to buy for $300?!  That's $1200 between the godparents assuming they're all contributing the same amount!  I wouldn't give an additional gift at that point.  Honestly, I'd seriously consider not being the godparent if that was expected. 

We've never asked our childrens' godparents to spend anything for them.  Our son's chose to buy him a cross necklace for his baptism and our daughter's asked to purchase her baptismal dress for her.  But we never expected them to plop down any (much less a lot!) of money.  

starlight91
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:19 PM

First Ive never heard of having 4 godparents, sounds like the 4 godparents were suckered into paying for the party.. It really is not normal to ask the godparents to do anything for the party let alone pay for it...

You are only expected to give the god child a gift.

yikesitsmindy
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Agreed. What the hell are they asking you to buy?

Quoting starlight91:

First Ive never heard of having 4 godparents, sounds like the 4 godparents were suckered into paying for the party.. It really is not normal to ask the godparents to do anything for the party let alone pay for it...

You are only expected to give the god child a gift.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Hell no would I be paying for someone elses party
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SRUsarahSC
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:22 PM

My DD's goddparents were not asked, nor did they pay for anything. We got a hall for free because my brother lived at the seminary where we had her baptism. We paid for the food etc--the bishop who performed the baptism refused payment....heck, what are they spending the money on the first place????

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I'd start a savings account for them as the gift. Doesn't have to be a huge amount, maybe like $25-50 to start out and make contributions on their birthdays and stuff. That's what all of my children's godparents did for them!

LucyHarper
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:32 PM

We didn't ask our godparents to provide anything for the party, but if I was asked as a godparent, I would still get them something. It wouldn't be huge and expensive, but I would get something meaningful. When my youngest was baptised his godparents (we are Episcopalian, so we have two godparents of the same gender and one of the opposite, so with him two godfathers and one godmother) gave him a baby pine tree, to plant in our yard and it will grow with him, a cross necklace and engraved silver cup, and a music box. I think the tree cost them like $15, but its a gift that will be meaningful and special for the rest of my childs life. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)