Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Seperations/divorce how did you do it?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

Dh and I have been Married for 13 years. We have 3 children 6,8,9 1/2. Our marriage has always been rocky. We got married at 18 and started having kids at 21. Like most marriages There is alot of Good. We really do love eachother. I know I love him and I love the family we have created together. Here is my problem. He is very critical and has been since we first got married. He used to be very controlling, He grew up in a home where his dad was controlling and verbally abusive to his mom. His control issues have gotten better mostly because I do not let him dictate everything I do. He still is critical and hurtful though. He criticizes everything I do.  If I don't refill the soap containers by the sink he gets mad and says "oh my wife forgot to fill the soap containers by the sink again... I don't know why you always forget that! It's not hard to get the soap and refill the container" I will usually respond with "Well if it's not that hard then why dont you save your breath and just do it" Or If I put a load of laundry in the washer and It's still in there an hour later He says " what are you going to leave the laundry in the washer all day so they start to smell and you have to wash them again! What a waste you are so lazy!" If he walks in the kitchen after the kids have eaten and I'm cleaning up but haven't swept yet he will  say " Oh gee thanks now I have to change my socks again because I just walked through  your nasty kitchen." These are just a few examples. It's everything. He never has a compliment for me. He also calls me names. You name it he has called me it! He does all of this wether the kids are there or not! I have had enough! I don't feel like I let him walk all over me because I do stand up for myself. I tell him he is wrong for saying what he says. I do not jump on his command. Also If I don't agree with him and try to share my opinion on something he gets mad and gets offended like I'm saying he is wrong. I am just so tired of it. We talk about seperating so often. He will not go to marriage counseling with me. He says talking to a stranger won't change anything. He doesn't think he is doing anything wrong. I have even said to him . "What if your daughters husband was talking to her that way, would you like it?" He says "If she is acting like you then I guess she'd deserve it" He is a good dad! He loves his kids So I don't know if he means it or if he just says it to make me more mad.

Either way on to my question. Sometimes I feel like seperating is the only option. not permently but maybe for a while to see if things can change. My oldest dd always says she is scared we will get divorced because we fight so much. It makes me sick to think of doing it to the kids but It also makes me sick to think I am raising kids who may find the an acceptable relationship. MY worry ishow do you make it on your own?? I looked it up and If we divorced He would only have to pay about 800 dollars in child support. I could get a job substituting and make about 900 a month at most.  As I see it I have a couple of options. Ideally He would move out and I could stay in our house, with the kids, which  costs about 1000 a month for mortgage, insurance, water, gas, electric, and my phone. plus the kids could stay in their home! If we did that he would probably move though away back to where he is from because he hates where we live. So we would not be able to work on anything and the kids would miss their dad! If I moved. we would have to move to a smaller home go from 5 bedrooms and 2000 sq ft. to 3 bedrooms and about 1200 sq ft for about 950 a month plus all the utilitiles which could be about $200-$300. Plus I have a car payment that is over 500. I just don't know how to go about any of it. I know this got really really LONG! If you made it this far thanks!

If you have been through this advice would be great. I do live near my parents and would consider moving in with them but Hate to be a burden. If We seperate I really want to stand on my own 2 feet , ya know. If it makes a difference we live in GA. TIA

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Pink.Sunshine.
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:27 PM

You would probably get some great support in the Divorce group on here. I am not fully there yet so I'll just bump

Nickie76
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:28 PM
He cheated... I left... The end...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ferrellmt
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:32 PM

first of all,

you say you really love each other...but love doesn't treat YOU like that...perhaps you love what he used to be or what you wish he were/could be....but the relationship you described is not loving, respectful, or kind. And yes, you are modeling dysfunction for your kids.

I was married 26 years. I am divorced now for the last 3 years. I wish I had left sooner.  

How do you do it? You plan it. ANd while you are planning( quietly, do not have to tell him) , you can tell him that something has to change...and that his emotional and verbal ABUSE (cuz that is what it is....) must be addressed, and that you will see a therapist alone or with him...but you are going to seek help ( since you are allowing this to some degree) and he can come or not...

ferrellmt
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:33 PM

visit Untying the knot group...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I have told him it's verbal abuse and that it is unacceptable! He says it's not and that I am just being dramatic. I know it's abuse. I used to deny it but I know it is. At the same time I know what I am worth and I know who I am. I am not who he says I am. I am not the bad things he calls me I know it's a problem he has, ya know. I mostly fear for my kids. They do not deserve to have to listen to their dad talk to their mom that way. :0( I have thought about going to counseling by myself not sure how though as I could not pay for it..

Quoting ferrellmt:

first of all,

you say you really love each other...but love doesn't treat YOU like that...perhaps you love what he used to be or what you wish he were/could be....but the relationship you described is not loving, respectful, or kind. And yes, you are modeling dysfunction for your kids.

I was married 26 years. I am divorced now for the last 3 years. I wish I had left sooner.  

How do you do it? You plan it. ANd while you are planning( quietly, do not have to tell him) , you can tell him that something has to change...and that his emotional and verbal ABUSE (cuz that is what it is....) must be addressed, and that you will see a therapist alone or with him...but you are going to seek help ( since you are allowing this to some degree) and he can come or not...

momamanda
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Heres a bump! Hope it turns out well!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Thanks

Quoting momamanda:

Heres a bump! Hope it turns out well!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Bump...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)