• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

College questions for the college mamas!

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:11 PM
  • 41 Replies

I love school, I've been going almost four years and I have two semesters left for my bachelor's degree. I am excited, but omg it is so stressful. I think about my tens of thousands of dollars in student loans all the time. What if I can't find a job? What if this turns out to be a huge waste of time? 

Tell me I'm not alone. I just want to stay in school forever and not have to make that next step, it's terrifying. 

I have an AA in Elementary Education then transferred to a university and I will have my BS in Sociology. There seem to be quite a few jobs in this area that are looking for a sociology degree or similar, but I haven't worked in years and I am worried I will not find a job. 

I really, really LOVE research. I have done quite a bit, and would like to make a career of it. I'm just not sure how to go about it. So if anyone you know dows research for a living, please fill me in on where they work or how they got research funding.

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:13 PM

If you want to do research, you're most likely going to have to go to grad school and get a PhD. My husband is a research biologist. He has a PhD, works for a state university, teaches classes and gets his research funded mostly through grants from the school but also some from non-profit organizations related to his work.

lovinmama411
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I am pretty set on graduate school, I can do it mostly online so I can go to work asap, we could use the income. A PhD, I'm not sure about. I will have to see how I feel once I get my Masters. I know I could teach at the college level with my Masters, it's what a few of my professors have, but they don't make much money at all. I was pretty shocked to learn what they made. It is a state university so maybe that makes a difference. I would love to do it, teaching and research would be my dream. I'm just not sure how smart I need to be for a PhD. It's intimidating. 

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

If you want to do research, you're most likely going to have to go to grad school and get a PhD. My husband is a research biologist. He has a PhD, works for a state university, teaches classes and gets his research funded mostly through grants from the school but also some from non-profit organizations related to his work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:31 PM

If you can't find a job you file for a deferment.  Simple as can be.  

lovinmama411
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Yea I know, it's just the massive debt dangling above my head doesn't feel too good. I guess it's the risk you have to make, I just hope it pays off. I hear alot of negativity lately about the true value of a college degree. I was just so sick of waiting tables and getting nowhere that I had to make a change. I think since it is getting close to time to start thinking about a job with my degree I am getting nervous. Blah.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:35 PM
An AA in elementary education? Why did you choose that. All states require at least a bachelors.
lovinmama411
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:40 PM

When I started school, I was planning on going through with the bachelor. We lived in Cincinnati. Then we moved to TN and shortly after I finished the AA and planned to transfer to a local university to finish it up. I did some job searches first and found NOTHING. My mom does home health and she took care of the lady who was the dean of the college of education at the university I go to. She had just retired the semester before. I went and talked to her one day and she confirmed there was little to nothing in education in this area. It is hard to find a job and if you do it likely won't last long. The degree seemed very limiting and constraining to me so I switched my major when I transferred. 

Quoting Anonymous:

An AA in elementary education? Why did you choose that. All states require at least a bachelors.

lnrmom
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:42 PM
You'll be fine.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:43 PM

My company won't hire anyone without a college education, including admin staff.  Actually, most of the companies in my area in the software industry won't hire anyone without a degree because there are plenty with degrees available.

Quoting lovinmama411:

Yea I know, it's just the massive debt dangling above my head doesn't feel too good. I guess it's the risk you have to make, I just hope it pays off. I hear alot of negativity lately about the true value of a college degree. I was just so sick of waiting tables and getting nowhere that I had to make a change. I think since it is getting close to time to start thinking about a job with my degree I am getting nervous. Blah.

Quoting Anonymous:

Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:46 PM

You don't have to be a genius to complete a PhD, you just have to be willing to work hard. I remember some of the other students in my DH's PhD program really didn't seem that bright, but they all graduated. It's probably different at other schools but here, you can only be an adjunct professor if you have a Masters, which means you're teaching part-time and at the bottom of the pay scale. Private schools don't necessarily pay better than state schools, some can't afford to. You could be a full professor at a community college with a Masters, but then you won't have the research opportunities.

A PhD is intimidating but it's basically all reading books & journal articles and writing papers. If you have the natural curiosity that makes a great researcher, and you love learning about Sociology, you'll be able to do it.

Quoting lovinmama411:

I am pretty set on graduate school, I can do it mostly online so I can go to work asap, we could use the income. A PhD, I'm not sure about. I will have to see how I feel once I get my Masters. I know I could teach at the college level with my Masters, it's what a few of my professors have, but they don't make much money at all. I was pretty shocked to learn what they made. It is a state university so maybe that makes a difference. I would love to do it, teaching and research would be my dream. I'm just not sure how smart I need to be for a PhD. It's intimidating. 

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

lovinmama411
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Well that's good news I guess. I have noticed several job postings that don't even specify a type of degree, they just want you to have at least a four year. I don't care if it isn't the field I want to work in right out of school, as long as I can find a job and it pays my loans and helps out with bills. I have been doing some volunteer work through the school that relates to my field, I am hoping that will help a little.

Quoting Anonymous:

My company won't hire anyone without a college education, including admin staff.  Actually, most of the companies in my area in the software industry won't hire anyone without a degree because there are plenty with degrees available.

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)