Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Calling any moms with kids that have O.D.D. **edit

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies
1 mom liked this
We just got the official diagnosis yesterday. I can't say I'm surprised, I mean we did take DS4 to a therapist because of his behavior, I just didn't want it to be ODD. We are in the process of setting up therapy sessions for him and us but I just wanted any advice, tips, or pointers that anyone may have.

**I want to thank EVERYBODY who has responded. For the women who say its not real, I would have agreed with you four years ago. I really thought what you did. Consistent reasonable discpline is the key, and is still the key, but teaching DS to manage his anger and aggression is beyond my scope. So I've went seeking professional help. This diagnosis took the therapist 3 months to come to. Karma is a bitch, so to all the moms out there dealing with this diagnosis in their kids, I'm sorry. I'm off to work now but I just wanted let all of you know I do appreciate the input and even critism.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wolfybaby
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:23 PM

i dated a guy in highschool who was diagnosed with that and also bi-polar disorder. i dont have any advice, just sympathy. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Thank you.

Quoting wolfybaby:

i dated a guy in highschool who was diagnosed with that and also bi-polar disorder. i dont have any advice, just sympathy. 

MommynMonster
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:25 PM

odd?

kgsharber
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:26 PM
What is ODD?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Oppositional Defiant Disorder right?
MomTeacher621
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:28 PM

My son has had a myriad of diagnoses over his 12.5 years. At one point, he was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD. After knowing his therapist for a long time, the therapist changed his diagnosis to PDD-NOS. It has been a rollercoaster journey for sure. He still has major anger issues, trouble keeping friends, etc. but is also a sweet, loving, caring boy. He just doesn't know how to manage his feelings and to get what he wants. Make sure that you and your SO are on the same page about how to manage the discipline for this disorder. You will need to be consistent so DS knows exactly what to expect. Realize that emotional and behavioral disorders can be extremely difficult on a marriage. Plan time away from your DS so you two can get a break.  Be proactive about talking with his teacher if he is starting KDG this coming year. You will be his biggest advocate.  Realize that it is VERY hard to do what sometimes has to be done because you are emotionally invested in your child and others who give you advice are NOT emotionally invested. They often see things you don't see because what they see isn't clouded by love for your child. Good luck...it is a long journey.

MommynMonster
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:28 PM

oppositional defiant disorder? like a permanent fit?

Quoting Anonymous:

lisairv
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I worked in a group home and all 12 residents had it. It can get worse with age. I wish you luck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Oppositional defiance disorder. In simple terms he is easily gets angry and he just can't seem to help being defiant. It's like a normal child's defiance times 100.

Quoting MommynMonster:

odd?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Yep

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)