Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

4 year old nearly drowns on a Disney Cruise whose fault is it?

Posted by   + Show Post

Four-Year-Old Child Nearly Drowns on Disney Cruise Ship

(11:00 a.m. EST) -- A 4-year-old boy nearly drowned just hours after getting on Disney Fantasy on Saturday, March 30. The boy is receiving medical treatment at Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children.

Rena Langley, a spokeswoman for Disney Cruise Line, confirmed the incident, which occurred while the ship was still in port at Port Canaveral, for Cruise Critic.

"On Saturday afternoon, our medical personnel responded when a child was unresponsive at one of the pools on the Disney Fantasy. The child was quickly transported to the hospital."

According to the Orlando Sentinel, Brevard Country rescue workers and Port Canaveral police responded to the ship at about 3:30 p.m. and found the boy "in distress." He was initially taken to Cape Canaveral Hospital, but then flown to Arnold Palmer Hospital in Orlando.

Disney confirmed the boy is still alive, but neither the cruise line nor Arnold Palmer Hospital would provide an update on his condition for privacy reasons.

There are no lifeguards on Disney Fantasy.

Disney Fantasy departed Port Canaveral some 45 minutes late for a seven-night Caribbean cruise.

--by Dori Saltzman, News Editor

I~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would want to know where the parents were. I don't let my son in a pool without me in it, and he can swim not well but he can swim and he is 5. It is kind of annoying to me that this article is blaming Disney Cruise, what do you think?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RMH Travel~~~Where the Real Magic Happens                         

Planning your perfect trip wheather its your first time or your 100th time, we promise to give you a magical trip.

TOP 10 REASONS TO USE A TRAVEL AGENT blog post

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Replies (11-20):
iuangina
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Parents fault.  That is all.  People need to take responsibility for their kids.  

Megara
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:47 PM
On the Disney ships the childcare is NOT offered in water areas. There is nothing in place where a parent would drop their child off at the pool. In the pool areas the only person responsible for your child is you. This incident happened on embarkation day, the ship was still in port. Likely the whole family was excited and not as vigilant as they should have been. I feel bad for them, but the only people "at fault," if you want to call it that, are the parents.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Unless the pool grew a huge wave and attacked him, its the parents fault 100%. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Four year old nearly drowns on Disney cruise, a man was killed today on the Carnival Triumph....what next?

snowpeasmom
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I was thinking there might not have been that many people at the pool as the cruise ship was just loading people when it happened.

Planning your perfect trip wheather its your first time or your 100th time, we promise to give you a magical trip.

Sweetest_Britt
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Thank gosh he didn't drown! 

Absolutely the parents responsibility. Disney makes it VERY known there are NO lifeguards. I dont see how or where the article is blaming Disney though?

spotsmom
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't let a four year old swim in a pool without me, really strong swimmer or not. 

snowpeasmom
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Just them saying there was no life guards I guess, though at the time it happened I am not suprise there isn't.

Quoting Sweetest_Britt:

Thank gosh he didn't drown! 

Absolutely the parents responsibility. Disney makes it VERY known there are NO lifeguards. I dont see how or where the article is blaming Disney though?

Shermy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:56 PM

At four, the parents. 

redhead-bedhead
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:56 PM
How is the article blaming Disney?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)