• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for photographers!! Help please!

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:38 PM
  • 11 Replies
Below is a piece of text from a conversation between me and a friend of a friend. About a labor/newborn photo shoot in the hospital.

" ...you would just call me when your contractions first start...the irregular ones. I would head down or already be there. I've done entire labor shoots before, like from the time that they arrive at the hospital, through the entire process, capture baby coming out and you first seeing/holding, family getting to see baby for first time, baby's measurements, weight, bath, cord cutting etc.

Then I can come back the day you leave the hosp and get newborn photos/leaving the hosp/arriving home...and/or you can get photos a week or so later. I charge more than $50, but I will cut you a major deal because you were referred to me. BUT, you won't be sorry with the photos. I am well educated in what I do.

I won't take anything graphic....some photogs do, but I usually shoot you with whomever is in the room with you during labor, shoot through contractions, get shots of equipment, the bassinet set up for the baby, etc...then during actual birth, I shoot from the head of your bed down ...that way you have action shots of birth but it is all completely kosher...nothing that you would be embarrassed to see.

Then once you see the photos....you can pick out your favorite shots and they can be ordered for professional printing and that is a set price per page, and I can also order canvas' or photo book and also birth announcements."

And...

"Ok...well, for 2 days of shooting...and then all of the pics on a flash drive for you...$85 for everything...I typically charge much more, but I will do this for you and Tiffany. Then the sheets are $5 each, but, wallets have multi pics per sheet, 5x7's come 2 to a sheet etc.

If you choose to go with me, I will gift you an 8x10 of your choice. I do require a nonrefundable deposit a month before due date....unless something were to happen healthwise out of anyone's control...then I would refund the deposit. Deposit is 35% percent down, so $30 down and then $55 at time of event."

This is for her to take pics of me while in labor and the moments after birth. The 2 days involves her coming back out to the hospital to get pics the day we leave the hospital and pics of the baby with siblings and other family.

She is being extremely generous! I would feel horrible about giving her so little! I want to give her more... I will give it to her the second day she comes out. My question...

How much would you charge for 2 days of your time to do a labor and newborn photo shoot? For a referral... friend of a friend. And how much is it compared to what you normally would charge?

(Tiffany is the mutual friend and Tiffany is also my doula.)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
summerbear
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Bump
JoshuasMommii
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Its usually around $250 to $800 for what shes giving you
Presley77
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:34 AM
I do this for a living and that's anywhere between $300 to $1000 job depending on where you love and the editing. And $300 is cheap for that. She is really giving you a deal! :)
Presley77
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Live not love. iPhone.
audreesmama
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:36 AM
$1500. I was a newborn and birth photographer, and my lowest priced package was $1500 for two days. A referral would save you 50% and give your friend 50% a package of her choice.

I now shoot for the Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep foundation and charge...$0 lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:39 AM

That is cheap. I wouldnt trust her. She probably is not running a legal business and is not insured. A real photographer would charge a lot more. Does she have a solid portfolio? 

Btw I am a phtoographer, I have been published and run workshops. I have been in business for over 7 years and I own a successful studio.

RVTMommy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:42 AM
I'd give her between $300-$500. I'm no photographer but that's a price I'd be comfortable paying for all of that.
summerbear
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:44 AM
We live in a small hick town! The city is made up of a bunch of retirees. I know she is being over generous, and I really feel she deserves to be paid fairly! She lives in the same county but the nest city over... about 30 minutes from my house. The hospital is about an hour away almost for her!

I know the gear does not come cheap! Plus on top of gas (which $85 is pretty much just a fill-up) the time away from her own family and the editing! When she started talking about giving me a huge deal I was thinking about 250-300.

I just don't want to short change her and not give her a fair amount for how much she is having to invest in it, just because a really good friend of hers referred me...

Quoting Presley77:

I do this for a living and that's anywhere between $300 to $1000 job depending on where you love and the editing. And $300 is cheap for that. She is really giving you a deal! :)
summerbear
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Wow! What a big change!!

I asked Tiffany how much she normally charges, but she didn't know! I just wish I had something to go off of!

I don't want to insult her by not paying her what she is due. A lot of money goes into buying photography gear and all the time spent editing... it adds up I am sure!

Quoting audreesmama:

$1500. I was a newborn and birth photographer, and my lowest priced package was $1500 for two days. A referral would save you 50% and give your friend 50% a package of her choice.

I now shoot for the Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep foundation and charge...$0 lol.
summerbear
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Thanks!!

Quoting RVTMommy:

I'd give her between $300-$500. I'm no photographer but that's a price I'd be comfortable paying for all of that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)