Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Sears and Walmart Portrait Update

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 134 Replies
Is officially closed down. Everyone has lost their jobs with almost no notice. If you've been there recently, you most likely will not receive your product. I managed a Picture Me for many years and I'm so sad for the employees and customers :(

Edit: this is USA studios. Excuse my ignorance about members from other countries. I apologize.

Update:
http://www.kmov.com/news/editors-pick/St-Louis-based-photo-company-abruptly-closes-leaving-customers-employees-scrambling-201522801.html

Posted on April 4, 2013 at 5:01 PM Updated yesterday at 6:41 PM

by KMOV.com staff

Editor's Pick

(KMOV.com) – Customers and employees of St. Louis-based portrait company CPI were left scrambling after the company closed all of its U.S. locations.

The company ran photo portrait studios in locations like Walmart, Sears and Toys-R-Us, and had more than 2,000 studios nationwide.

With the closure, customers are scrambling to find out if they can get the pictures they paid for and employees are wondering if they’ll get their paychecks.

CPI has been losing millions of dollars the last few years and had reportedly tried to find a buyer but couldn’t work out a deal. As a result, the company closed all its portrait studios except those in Canada.

As a result, studio employees across the St. Louis metro area were left to answer customer questions while being told they were out of a job.

Phones were ringing off the hook at the Picture Me portrait studio in St. Charles with calls from customers worried they’d lose their money and photos, but employees were making sure that didnt happen.

“These people trusted us with their children’s pictures, with memories that are going to last a lifetime,” said former manager Jennifer McDowell. “Children with handicaps, family members that are gone. I’m not- I’m not just going to turn my back on them.”

Even though the employees had been told they were laid off, they came in on their own time to help customers.

“They had burned a CD for me on their own time,” said customer Chris Parker. “It’s amazing, the staff here has been great.”

Up until the end, the compnay was promising employees that everyting was okay. An email came in at 7:28 p.m. Wednesday saying the notice that the portrait studio was to be closed was a mistake and that everything was business as usual.

Then an email came in just two hours later saying the company was closing all of its U.S. studios and the employees were in fact out of a job.

The company’s headquarters on Washington Avenue were locked up Thursday.

An employee told News 4 workers will get paid and customers will get their photos, but the way all the closure was handled has engendered little faith the company will keep its promises.

“I think it’s shameful,” said McDowell. “They, they told us that it was going to be okay.”
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:01 AM

why would they have closed down?

supermama322
by Kaylee on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Where did you hear that?

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:04 AM
April fools was a few days ago.......
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs-Somerhalder
by Blake on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:05 AM
I saw that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:06 AM
3 moms liked this

Good...the pictures were crap.....I never understood why they always did the exact same photo with everyone, and the photographers couldn't even take a pic without the backdrop crooked, etc..

Mrs-Somerhalder
by Blake on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:06 AM
Bankrupt.

Quoting bustybee:

why would they have closed down?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:06 AM
Too bad it's not a joke.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

April fools was a few days ago.......

Arwyn724
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Never went there for pics, but I'm sorry for the employees out of work.

flowersbane
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:08 AM

they're satill open where I live.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:08 AM
That's too bad. They did a few nice photo shoots for my kids when they were younger.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN