Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Cry it out, my stubbornness got my baby hurt.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies
Confession we bed share. My hubby doesn't want to anymore he says put her in her crib let her cry to sleep. I said no never wait until shes old enough, shes only 9 months. Well she fell of the bed tonight. Shes ok but now I feel horrible so starting tomorrow we will have to be doing cio.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:10 AM

I never bed shared. Girls were in bassinets in our room for the first 6 weeks, then into the crib they went and slept through the night from that point on. Never had to do CIO or anything. Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:10 AM

how do u know she will cry? is it the first time in  a crib, you never know, she may enjoy a whole bed to herself to stretch out. I still sleep with my 4mo also and am getting ready to put him in a crib, I hope it goes well. I would never do CIO but thats just me, I will go in every few min to let him know I am there and hopefully he will be ok, im so nervous lol..GL I hope it goes well for you! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:11 AM
1 mom liked this
You haven't tried anything else and that's the only thing you can come up with? Why not try some other things first?
justone_jen
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:15 AM
There are a lot of options between bed sharing and CIO.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:16 AM
2 moms liked this
If co sleeping is important to you try a bed rail.
rkkeller13
by Kristy on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:22 AM
1 mom liked this
There is an easier method than CIO. Go thru your normal bedtime routine. And instead of putting in your bed, place her in hers. Make sure she's sleepy on the verge of falling asleep. Then sit right next to her crib so she can see you. Stay there till she falls asleep. Do this for a couple of nights. Then move your chair a lil bit away from her crib and stay till she's asleep. Do this for a couple of nights. And then move the chair even further away towards the door but making sure that she can still see you. Stay till she's asleep. Keep doing this until you are at the doorway. Then see how she does with out you in the room. Make sure to be consistent with a bedtime routine. And make sure she is really tired and almost asleep when you lay her down. This should help her get adjusted to being in her crib and get her accustomed to sleeping alone. The reason for being near her until she falls asleep and then slowly moving away until out of sight is to let her know that you will still be there for her. But that this is now where she is going to sleep. For the first few nights of you not being in the room she might cry out for you. Let her be and see if she can sooth her self. If after a few min, let's say 5 , if she hasn't calmed down or is building herself up to a fit go in and and speak softly to her and pat her back then walk out. she will get the hint soon. and she should be ok. its a lot nicer to do it this way than to just put her in a strange bed alone to cry herself to sleep. good luck momma and I hope this helps.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:23 AM
I've tried her in her crib a few times never leaving her she cries as soon as I put her down, our as soon as she wakes up. That's the reason why we have co slept in the beginning. Last time she cried for two hours that was me there with her picking her up and nursing her. Every baby is different though my son never had any problems like this

Quoting Anonymous:

how do u know she will cry? is it the first time in  a crib, you never know, she may enjoy a whole bed to herself to stretch out. I still sleep with my 4mo also and am getting ready to put him in a crib, I hope it goes well. I would never do CIO but thats just me, I will go in every few min to let him know I am there and hopefully he will be ok, im so nervous lol..GL I hope it goes well for you! 

kkps725
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:26 AM
DS Is three months and I won't bed share. I am a ridiculously heavy sleeper and it terrifies me! I don't always wake up to his cry but DH does..
DS sleeps in his bassinet or in his swing in our room though. When we put him in the swing at night he does a lot better and sleeps 7-10 hours at a time..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowpeasmom
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:29 AM
Be there but don't pick her up, pat her back, rub her tummy, but don't pick her up unless its a hurt cry, not an anger cry.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've tried her in her crib a few times never leaving her she cries as soon as I put her down, our as soon as she wakes up. That's the reason why we have co slept in the beginning. Last time she cried for two hours that was me there with her picking her up and nursing her. Every baby is different though my son never had any problems like this

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:29 AM
Thank you. I tried this twice on separate occasions which now that I'm thinking it was a bad idea to try and not suck with it. First time we did that for 2 hours second it was almost 2 hours, she cried which is why I thought it was cio.

Quoting rkkeller13:

There is an easier method than CIO. Go thru your normal bedtime routine. And instead of putting in your bed, place her in hers. Make sure she's sleepy on the verge of falling asleep. Then sit right next to her crib so she can see you. Stay there till she falls asleep. Do this for a couple of nights. Then move your chair a lil bit away from her crib and stay till she's asleep. Do this for a couple of nights. And then move the chair even further away towards the door but making sure that she can still see you. Stay till she's asleep. Keep doing this until you are at the doorway. Then see how she does with out you in the room. Make sure to be consistent with a bedtime routine. And make sure she is really tired and almost asleep when you lay her down. This should help her get adjusted to being in her crib and get her accustomed to sleeping alone. The reason for being near her until she falls asleep and then slowly moving away until out of sight is to let her know that you will still be there for her. But that this is now where she is going to sleep. For the first few nights of you not being in the room she might cry out for you. Let her be and see if she can sooth her self. If after a few min, let's say 5 , if she hasn't calmed down or is building herself up to a fit go in and and speak softly to her and pat her back then walk out. she will get the hint soon. and she should be ok. its a lot nicer to do it this way than to just put her in a strange bed alone to cry herself to sleep. good luck momma and I hope this helps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)