Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Messy house...edit! PICS page 5.

Posted by   + Show Post
Is your home messy? Why? I'm not being condescending, I'm truly asking. I am a SAHM, but also run an in-home daycare. My home is very neat and organized, and I don't put much effort into it. I spend maybe a total of an hour a day cleaning, minus laundry. When I used to be a working mom, I spent maybe 20 minutes every evening cleaning. In essence, I'm caring for 6 children each day and maintaining a clean home. I just don't understand the pic posts of proud messy homes proclaiming that moms would rather spend time with their kiddos than have a clean home when I do it daily just fine.

Updated to add pics, start on page 5.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:40 AM
Replies (41-50):
lovelove211
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:13 AM
I'm going to be trying some of those suggestions. If I can get the hang of it, life will be a lot easier lol

Quoting faeryfrog:

It took me a while to get it, it does not come naturally to me, lol.

First I have a schedule of things to do everyday for every member of our family.

My cabinets are organized by product and all dry goods go in a bin which stack nicely.

I go through the mail by the trash so I can toss as I go

Things like that. I do admit I have a "Monica closet" that I can't seem to get to, lol

Quoting lovelove211:

Any tips? I have to admit since our house was renovated my organizing is not good lol

Quoting faeryfrog:

My home is clean because I've organized it nicely. Most messy homes are as such because people lack the organizational skill. I have a friend who cleans hours a day cleaning her home, much more then I do, but her organizing sucks, so its still always "lived in"

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:14 AM
6 moms liked this

You're right, when I clean house it takes me an hour and if it weren't for the kids & dh it'd always be clean.

It depends on the people your living with. If they are slobs, your house always looks trashed even if you spend time cleaning it. As soon as your finished, they begin trashing it again.

There will be no one home and I can get my whole house spotless and looking nice in 1 hour, I do it all the time. Then it's trashed again in 10 minutes.

I had a neighbor who didn't believed I cleaned until they were over my house and witnessed it. They said they never seen anything like it. They couldn't belive how I was able to get the house so nice looking while they were in school than when they were all home, literally 10 minutes later it looks like a home from that show "how clean is your house"

My house never looks clean and it's depressing.

Drives me nuts.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Well I work 12hr night shifts too. That makes a huge difference. I'll be a sahm soon and I love to organize. It's just with what we've been through and our age we put our money into bigger more important things. We just bought this house last year and I need to do a lot still. Like shelving and stuff for the playroom. Right now it's just two big boxes. Plus I have 2 kids in diapers and 1 in kindergarten. Things will be much easier when I quit working and I'll be able to slowly get my house like I want it.

But organization and ease of cleanig are huge. I'm always lookig for ways to shorten my cleaning process. I need to be able to clean a bathroom in under 10min. That sort of thing. I'm still adjusting to having a 2 story house too. It's twice as big as our other one was.

Quoting AmberRose1122:

I understand. It's much easier with organizational tools. I think that's part of why it's so easy to keep up during the day for me. When I worked full-time (I still technically work 60 hours with all these kiddos, but it's different) I only did dishes and maybe a load of laundry in the evening, and picked up throughout. I was too tired for anything else.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't clean much at all on the days I work. I do it all plus laundry in my days off. And right now it's not terribly organized. Having what I need to organize everything well would cost money I don't have to spend on that right now.

ryansmommy07
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:17 AM
My house i very clean. I spend about 2+ hours a day but i also sweep and mop and vacuum daily plus dusting and making the beds
lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:19 AM
No, I cannot stand a messy home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tntmomof2
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:19 AM

I'm a neat freak but I just assume that those who keep messy houses just don't have the skill to keep it organized and clean. I used to battle with keeping this house neat the first year we lived here. Once I got everything organized and in its place it made my life so much easier now the house is never messy. Everything has a place of its own. BUT that takes know how and a certain level of skill. Some people just need a bit of help getting organized first and many don't have that help. 

Kmary
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:21 AM
3 moms liked this

To me there are various types of clean.  There's tidy.  There's organized.  And there's sanitary.  And those things are all different.  There are people whose homes are clean--as in floors get mopped regularly, bathrooms are sanitized, bedsheets are changed regularly, etc., but they're not so great at storing/organizing so things can look a little unkempt.   Then there are people who are the  opposite:  very organized.   A place for everything, but maybe they haven't wiped down the bathroom sink in ages.  Hopefully,, most people can find a happy medium and have a presentable home.  Not to mention, people really do have different preferences when it comes to cleanliness.  I grew up with two close friends whose parents were true neat freaks.  There was never anything out of place in their homes and they constantly smelled of cleaning products and you know something?  We always found their homes to be uninviting and cold.  We worried far too much over dropping a crumb to be comfortable.  I don't personally like extremely clean homes.  I really prefer a lived in, but sanitary home. 

happykitty316
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:25 AM

At the moment it is.  I threw my back out a month ago and every time I think it's "better" I reinjure it.  Yesterday I was able to fold 3 loads of laundry and vacuum 2 rooms, so that was a big victory for me....

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Not everyone is organized. Not everyone cares. I can't stand the be proud your home is a mess. Clean it and you will really have something to be proud of.

AmberRose1122
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:27 AM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Yeah, the kid is watching Scooby. It's Spring Break.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)