Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How Much Do You Spend On...

• A gift for a child's birthday party?
  • A baby shower gift?
  • A bridal shower gift?
  • A wedding gift?

I have a lot of these events coming up this spring/summer; some for close friends, some for acquaintances.I hate to be cheap, but since becoming a SAHM money is much tighter these days. Just curious to hear what other people spend.

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:15 AM
Replies (331-340):
xxshelbyxxx
by Scarlet begonias on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:20 AM
I'd say your numbers sound about what I'd spend too. But on the lower spectrum for most occasions. It all depends on how much $ I have at the time too because If I'm doin real well ill spend more towards the higher end, but no more then what you listed. The commenter before you is too high sorry.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

gift for other people children ~~ no more than $20. I'm a bargain shopper. When I see something that a good deal I might buy 2 or 3 and put away for when needed.

A baby shower ~~ $40 to $200. Depends on who the shower is for.

Bridal shower ~~~ $50 to $150. Again if its relative we give more.

Wedding gift ~~ $100 to $300 relatives get more again.

On baby, bridal and wedding I usually buy off the registry.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
xxshelbyxxx
by Scarlet begonias on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:22 AM
Me too. Well put.

Quoting Waterswaves:

I'm around here too. I think it also depends on how much money you have. We don't have that much and our bills/living expenses come first. I can't afford to spend much. That's just the way it is. I don't care what people give me either, only that it's done with love and caring. I'm also a big bargain shopper and I save things throughout the year that are bought on clearance. I find out what people love and try to find something they would like. Gift baskets are easy to make yourself and that's what we give a lot of the time. I bought 20 dollar coffee carafes for two dollars last year and we used those to make coffee related gift baskets at Christmas. I won a Kohl's Gift Card and a 50 dollar massage envy gift card in online contests. They made great gifts. I also do beadwork and have had people at my former work place be thrilled when they realized I had their name. They knew hand beaded items were in the box. To me, the thought and effort in the gift is worth more than the monetary value.

Quoting Anonymous:

Either I'm cheap, or you people are making things up.

Kids Birthday $10 for classmates, $20-30 for good friends (don't normally buy adult bday gifts.

Baby/Bridal shower $25 for casual friends, cousins, , up to $100 for SIL's.

Wedding... $25 unless I went to their shower...then it's nothing.

kmorales7690
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:24 AM
It depends, usually anywhere from 5-20 dollars. I usually make something home made or put together a basket full I goodies depending on who and what my budget is
horseap
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:40 AM
1 mom liked this

HONESTLY... I dont care if its family or not.  I have a wedding shower to go to this weekend and a baby shower next month.  The wedding shower is my cousin.  I will be giving her 25 bucks in a card. WHY?  Because I never see her.  She never comes to family events.  When we do see each other its a quick hello then off in different directions.  Plus she asked for ridiculous things* a 2000 slip cover a dyson vacuum bedroom furniture.  Things she knows that are out of 90% of the families budgets.*   I made a post about it a while back.  The baby shower next month... is for DHs cousins gf.  Seeing as how they arent married I normally wouldnt spend a lot.  But I know this girl.  She only asked for 14 things on her list, MOST of the things are nursing supplies so everyone would know that shes choosing to BF and that way she doesnt get a butt load of bottles or formula.   She asked for nip cream, pads, bags, storage container,s a mattress, crib, swing, stroller, carseat, diaper bag, a boppy ,a bobby cover, a baby bath, towel set, and onesies.  Shes a first time mom.  She could have asked for SHLOADS of things.  But didnt.  If I can Im going to buy as much of the breast feeding things as I can and give her a few gift cards so when she needs things and is out of money she has something to fall back on.(because paychecks can run tight, it happens to the best of us)

1lv2stks3nlz4ev
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:12 AM

• A gift for a child's birthday party? $20
    *A baby shower gift? Usually about $20 but I usually make a blanket or something
  • A bridal shower gift? $40
  • A wedding gift? $50 + something homemade
    averysmommom
    by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:26 AM

Close friends $40-50 or more depending who. Acquaintance kid 20 acquaintance adult 30

summerbear
    by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:26 AM
    Birthday- about $20 unless the child is older or a teen then it is $40

Baby shower- around $50, unless it is family or a very close friend then it is a little more.

Bridal shower- never went to one... I have no idea!

Wedding- $100. If it is family or a close friend then easily double that... usually more.
    Anonymous
    by Anonymous 41 on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:44 AM
    For the first ones- whatever you're comfortable with. I've heard your wedding gift should be at least the price of your food.
    BridgeEbb
    by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:28 AM

For a child's party I spend between $25 and $50 depending on the relationship to the child.  My relatives get the upper amount and my kids friends get the lower.

A baby shower gift again goes by the relationship to the person.  Usually between $50 and $75

A bridal shower gift usually around $50

And at a wedding we always give $100 ($50 for each of us)

CookieMom108
    by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:30 AM

It really depends on how well I know the person, how close we are, age of child (if the gift is for a child), etc.  I almost always give $100 for a wedding gift though, more if I'm close to the couple.

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)