Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How Much Do You Spend On...

• A gift for a child's birthday party?
  • A baby shower gift?
  • A bridal shower gift?
  • A wedding gift?

I have a lot of these events coming up this spring/summer; some for close friends, some for acquaintances.I hate to be cheap, but since becoming a SAHM money is much tighter these days. Just curious to hear what other people spend.

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:15 AM
Replies (341-350):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:51 AM
Child birthday $15 unless family

Baby I make things (I knit)

Bride depends on how much I know them.

Wedding again depends on how well I know the people. Like I sent more on family than friends but my family also has done so much for me.
Jennasmom08
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I buy a lot of kid's gifts at Target after Christmas, to get $20+ gifts for $5ish, then I let my kids pick which they think their friend would like best (I get Princess stuff, Barbie, Cars, Toy Story) They are not cheap gift, I just buy them cheaply on clearance.

Baby showers I give a gift card- normally $20

Bridal shower- haven't been to one in awhile, not sure what I would do

Wedding normally a check for $50, unless it is a sibling and then more

JsMommy1003
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:06 AM

honestly this may sound bad but I determine the gift by who the person is and how well I Know them. If its family then its a good chunk of change usually. If its an aquaintance then I get something nice but small or a few small things.

Proud-mama-05
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:09 AM

It honestly depends on who they are.

CoolRelax
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:11 AM

1. $20 - learning toy

2. $20-$30 - Target gift card/diapers/nursing supplies

3. $50 - pick an item from the registry

4. $50-$100 (depends on who it is) - pick an item from the registry, or if running late pick up a visa giftcard

We're the family with young expensive twin toddlers so folks don't expect to get a lot from us these days, lol.

Maries_Mom23
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Child's gift...depends on who the child is.  If DD was invited a classmate's party and we are running tight on cash, somewhere between $10-$15.  My niece is the only other kid's party we attend and since I know when her birthday is, I have time to save up and usually do $30 or so on her.  

Baby shower?  Whatever I can afford.  If they registered, I look at the registry and maybe pick a few of the cheaper things up.  I went to one a few years ago and she registered for 4 packs of baby hangers.  I bought them and a cute outfit.  Thrilled the mom.  She whispered to me later she didn't think anyone would buy hangers and she was so grateful I did.

Bridal or wedding?  Since I would (Hopefully) know about those well in advance, I would save up to buy a nice gift off of their registry.  Nothing extravagant or anything, but, something in my dollar range that the couple registered for.  

lasombrs
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Most gifts I do $20-30.

For our neighbors wedding, who we didn't even like but were invited and felt we had to go we gave them $50 in cash. Which is beyond a lot of money for us and left us struggling to do but I still felt we should have done more.

I ahve never gone to a baby or bridal shower before

calebsmommy05
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Kid b-day: 20
Baby shower: 0-20. They receive an array of handmade (by me) items and I will sometimes add some baby care items(wipes, baby soap, shampoo, lotion, etc
Weddings: depends on how close I am to them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
taminick32
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:46 AM
I do the same for birthday gifts:) my attic is full of fun birthday gifts.

Quoting Jennasmom08:

I buy a lot of kid's gifts at Target after Christmas, to get $20+ gifts for $5ish, then I let my kids pick which they think their friend would like best (I get Princess stuff, Barbie, Cars, Toy Story) They are not cheap gift, I just buy them cheaply on clearance.

Baby showers I give a gift card- normally $20

Bridal shower- haven't been to one in awhile, not sure what I would do

Wedding normally a check for $50, unless it is a sibling and then more

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gcecelie
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:02 AM

A gift for a child's birthday party? - at most $50

Baby shower about $200

Wedding or Bridal shower about $20 for a friend, as much as I can give for close relative. They get a lof of stuff they don't need.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)