Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How Much Do You Spend On...

• A gift for a child's birthday party?
  • A baby shower gift?
  • A bridal shower gift?
  • A wedding gift?

I have a lot of these events coming up this spring/summer; some for close friends, some for acquaintances.I hate to be cheap, but since becoming a SAHM money is much tighter these days. Just curious to hear what other people spend.

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:15 AM
Replies (351-360):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

in general these are the max amounts I would plan on spending (but of course this is subject to change based on the person receiving the gift)

child birthday - $20

baby shower- $50

bridal shower- $40

wedding gift- $100

cricketfern
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Wow - I could never afford to travel in your circle!

I think where someone lives makes a big difference as well.   Some areas the incomes are generally much higher than others.

JennPearce
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Depends how close we are to the person. Usually 10-20 for acquaintances/ kid's classmate. 50 for family or close friend.
aj_mom
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Depends on how well we know each other and how close we are.

CRFstffrd
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Since you're on a tight budget, you could try making things yourself.
Or just get gift cards.
I stick to $25 or $50. During this time, I think everyone's budget is a little tighter. And for a childs birthday, $10 and they think they're rich lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
baileymarie723
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Childs B-day I usually do $15-$20 (unless it is my daughter or one of my nieces or nephews).

Babyshower- Between $30-$40 (if I can afford that much at the time).

Never been to a bridal shower, so I don't know what I would spend. I know that for my bridal shower I got things from people that were in the $15-$20 range.

Wedding- I haven't been to many weddings, but the ones I have gone to I just gave them money. I try to give $50, but if I can't afford that I will at least give $20.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Elizabeth102003
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:00 PM
OK I'm apparently a cheap ass.... but for non close people....
Birthday kids- 15.00-20.00
Birthday adults- 30.00_40.00
Baby shower- 40.00-50.00
Bridal shower-30.00_40.00
Wedding-100.00
sdb2007
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Holy crap, I want you people to be my friends!! I don't think I have EVER spent more than maybe $50 on a gift for anyone! 

Depending on if it's family or friends usually $20-$50. When we had the shower for my nephew I probably spent more, but I wasn't married then so it was my choice how much I spent and I probably went a little crazy because I was so excited lol. For my parents/husband/kids I don't really have a set budget just depends what I find to get them. I haven't gotten to the point of kids' friends birthdays yet so I'm not help on that! I always feel like I have to buy a present for a birthday/shower/wedding....my husband feels different but I think it's rude to go and not give them SOMETHING, people came/come to my birthday, shower, wedding and bought me stuff so I should do the same or not go :)

nicolee0821
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Most of you are on crack! I'd NEVER spend that much on gifts unless they were family or very close friends.
Mom2MikeynLando
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM

A child in the family, $50.  Kids friends from school, $20.

a baby shower gift for a family member or close friend, $100-$250.  For a coworker or acquaintance, $25-$50.

bridal shower gift for family close friend $100-$150.  Coworker or acquaintance, $50.

wedding gift, it depends on where reception and wedding are as I always try to cover at least me meal.  We've spent $100 towards a backyard wedding but $1000 for an upscale NYC wedding.  Also take into consideration who's getting married, if my Dh or I are in the wedding, travel costs, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)