Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How Much Do You Spend On...

• A gift for a child's birthday party?
  • A baby shower gift?
  • A bridal shower gift?
  • A wedding gift?

I have a lot of these events coming up this spring/summer; some for close friends, some for acquaintances.I hate to be cheap, but since becoming a SAHM money is much tighter these days. Just curious to hear what other people spend.

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:15 AM
Replies (361-370):
Diane1223
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:02 PM

A child's b-day gift is usually about $15-20, a baby shower gift about $30-$50, a bridal shower gift about $40, and a wedding gift around $50.  If I am super close to the people I may spend more :)

JTE11
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:35 PM

For everything except the wedding gift we spend between $25-40. For the wedding gift we just usually give $100.  Sometimes it's more, like if I know the person or family are in need then we'll get them more.

Sarah32882
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I don't set a  budget but I do shop sales, use coupons, combine cash back so out of pocket- I spend more time than money shopping for the right gift. If the budget was really thin I would get crafty and put together gift basket and homemade items.

I usually spend no more than $20 for a gift for a child's bday party.

For the shower's and wedding gift $50 maybe more.

SWasson
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:08 PM
  • A gift for a child's birthday party?—If it's not a child I'm related to, about $10.
  • A baby shower gift?—About $50.
  • A bridal shower gift?—About $50.
  • A wedding gift?—If I'm attending, $100, if not, $50—75.
Sarah32882
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Greed and need comes into play in some of my gifting. I gift more to people that are in need.

Quoting horseap:

HONESTLY... I dont care if its family or not.  I have a wedding shower to go to this weekend and a baby shower next month.  The wedding shower is my cousin.  I will be giving her 25 bucks in a card. WHY?  Because I never see her.  She never comes to family events.  When we do see each other its a quick hello then off in different directions.  Plus she asked for ridiculous things* a 2000 slip cover a dyson vacuum bedroom furniture.  Things she knows that are out of 90% of the families budgets.*   I made a post about it a while back.  The baby shower next month... is for DHs cousins gf.  Seeing as how they arent married I normally wouldnt spend a lot.  But I know this girl.  She only asked for 14 things on her list, MOST of the things are nursing supplies so everyone would know that shes choosing to BF and that way she doesnt get a butt load of bottles or formula.   She asked for nip cream, pads, bags, storage container,s a mattress, crib, swing, stroller, carseat, diaper bag, a boppy ,a bobby cover, a baby bath, towel set, and onesies.  Shes a first time mom.  She could have asked for SHLOADS of things.  But didnt.  If I can Im going to buy as much of the breast feeding things as I can and give her a few gift cards so when she needs things and is out of money she has something to fall back on.(because paychecks can run tight, it happens to the best of us)

grnsmomma
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:22 PM

child's birthday party - 20 to 30 depending on what I find and what they like

baby shower gift - 40

Isn't a bridal shower and wedding gift the same thing?  I thought that was the point of a bridal shower?  Anyway, it really just depends on the person.  I spent 50-60 on the last 2 I went to.  We definitely don't have extra money laying around so I watched their lists early and caught some things on sale, also used the 20% off coupons for bed bath and beyond (they'll never know, so no harm).

Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Depends on the person. A school friends birthday party $20, my niece or nephews $100-$200. Baby shower and bridal shower gifts, usually $50. Wedding gift $100 or so.

Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:26 PM

A bridal shower is to give gifts the bride will need for the wedding. I got spa stuff and a massage, stuff like that.

Quoting grnsmomma:

child's birthday party - 20 to 30 depending on what I find and what they like

baby shower gift - 40

Isn't a bridal shower and wedding gift the same thing?  I thought that was the point of a bridal shower?  Anyway, it really just depends on the person.  I spent 50-60 on the last 2 I went to.  We definitely don't have extra money laying around so I watched their lists early and caught some things on sale, also used the 20% off coupons for bed bath and beyond (they'll never know, so no harm).

ChristyG2012
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Depends on how well I know the receiver...
If only an acquaintance:
Child bday: $10
Baby shower: $10
Bridal shower: $20
Wedding: $20

For friend or family I'd prob add $10 to each.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
harymarshman
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I think it all depends on how well you know the person and what your financial situation is. I spend $20-$50 on most gifts. Sometimes it's less or more depending on how we are doing financially at the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN