Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i dont know how

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:59 AM
  • 16 Replies
To pick out a makeup.
Ok let me clarify i havent worn makeup in years mostly because my kids alway no matter what would find it and get it everywhere so i threw it out. I never was a big wearer so it didnt bother me. But i would like to get some now for the times i would like to wear it. My biggest prob is a foundation. I havent a clue as to which one or color nd i hate to spend alot od money only to find it dosent do well.
So this leads me to asking u guys what kind i always have probs with my tzone i always have peeling skin there so i buff it when i wash my face to get rid if that if not make up flakes there and look aweful. Also ut tends to dry out and crack or gets lines .
I just want a light foundation that will even out my color i hav freckles and something that wont cause me to break out.
Suggestions??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lkane81
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Bump
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM

go to a makeup counter and have foundation matched to you

starlight91
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:01 AM

my sil had a problem like that, she would put lotion on her face before her foundation, seemed to help a bit after some time.

Sunshine257
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:03 AM
I agree go to a makeup counter have them match you. That is what I do. You might want to do away with foundation all together and use a moisturizer or tinted moisturizer with some loose mineral powder. Maybe some concealer. If you have problems with foundation.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

lkane81
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:04 AM
I put a lotion on after i wash my face but i have to be careful as they will make me break out. Next thing i knoe my face is full of zits all from lotion..

Quoting starlight91:

my sil had a problem like that, she would put lotion on her face before her foundation, seemed to help a bit after some time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:05 AM
I went to Bate Minerals. I bought everything I needed and threw my other stuff away. They helped me with colors and how to use. I spent a small fortune.

However, I am more than happy with my results.
lkane81
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:06 AM
I waa thinking a mineral base. Who would have a makeup counter? We dont have a mall for at least 200 miles does walgreens have one?

Quoting Sunshine257:

I agree go to a makeup counter have them match you. That is what I do. You might want to do away with foundation all together and use a moisturizer or tinted moisturizer with some loose mineral powder. Maybe some concealer. If you have problems with foundation.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

creekbank
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:14 AM

NOTHING will cover up freckles unless you cake it on like spackling, LOL! At least not mine, so I have learned to embrace them, for some reason, people see freckles and think you are younger! I guess because we always associate freckles with youth...

Anyway, the best foundation I have ever found is Clinique. My skin color/darkness of my freckles changes as the summer progresses, so I usually have two colors. (I also like their skin products, especially for that oily t-zone area.)

Good suggestion about going to the counter, they are happy to match you up. and lots of times have free stuff with purchase. LOVE free stuff!

One thing though, I have tried several different kinds of mineral powder foundation. Personally, I hate all of it. It sticks to the oily places and wears off the dry places really quick. If you have ANY imperfections like flaking, blemishes, wrinkles/fine lines THOSE are exaggerated! The powder foundation only works for younger people with perfect skin, IMO. (I'm 45 and despite a lifetime of outdoors work, I don't have many lines, BUT the ones I do have are REALLY super visible with the powder) It also crinkles every time you smile, and if your skin gets the LEAST bit crepe-y, or papery textured during the winter powder makes it look GODAWFUL.

For work,(cause I work outside and usually just sweat it off and waste it in the summer, LOL) if I wear anything at all other than waterproof mascara, I use the covergirl cheap stuff, believe it or not, it's light and natural feeling and works as well as - or better than - the high dollar stuff.

I use the clinique when I am doing other stuff, out of the house but not at work, shopping, appts, etc. Because it's pricey. (to me)

Other than that, I stick to natural shades of eyeliner and black mascara. Lip gloss. I used to wear heavy dark eyeshadow (I have strong features) but since I've gotten older, people tell me i look younger. Too much makeup is a real giveaway on the age thing, I guess.

Experiment, HAVE FUN. If you feel good, you LOOK good! PS: when i want to try a different color of lipgloss or eyeshadow for the rare occassion, I get the cheap stuff in a color as close to the good stuff as I like, then, if I don't like it, I'm only out a buck or two, instead of 7 or 8, LOL. I'm a tightwad single parent!

lkane81
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Yea i dont want to cover them completely just kinda a light evener. Yes some things i start to liom papery or crinkle bad and powder does exaggerate things. But i also dont want to keep applying it once a day and thats it. No way will i get clinque the closest mall that would have it is at least a 100 miles away so not going to happen. Thinking if walgreens has a makeup counter thats the closest thin around here that would have a makeup counter. And like i said i dont want to spend a bunch of money.

Quoting creekbank:

NOTHING will cover up freckles unless you cake it on like spackling, LOL! At least not mine, so I have learned to embrace them, for some reason, people see freckles and think you are younger! I guess because we always associate freckles with youth...

Anyway, the best foundation I have ever found is Clinique. My skin color/darkness of my freckles changes as the summer progresses, so I usually have two colors. (I also like their skin products, especially for that oily t-zone area.)

Good suggestion about going to the counter, they are happy to match you up. and lots of times have free stuff with purchase. LOVE free stuff!

One thing though, I have tried several different kinds of mineral powder foundation. Personally, I hate all of it. It sticks to the oily places and wears off the dry places really quick. If you have ANY imperfections like flaking, blemishes, wrinkles/fine lines THOSE are exaggerated! The powder foundation only works for younger people with perfect skin, IMO. (I'm 45 and despite a lifetime of outdoors work, I don't have many lines, BUT the ones I do have are REALLY super visible with the powder) It also crinkles every time you smile, and if your skin gets the LEAST bit crepe-y, or papery textured during the winter powder makes it look GODAWFUL.

For work,(cause I work outside and usually just sweat it off and waste it in the summer, LOL) if I wear anything at all other than waterproof mascara, I use the covergirl cheap stuff, believe it or not, it's light and natural feeling and works as well as - or better than - the high dollar stuff.

I use the clinique when I am doing other stuff, out of the house but not at work, shopping, appts, etc. Because it's pricey. (to me)

Other than that, I stick to natural shades of eyeliner and black mascara. Lip gloss. I used to wear heavy dark eyeshadow (I have strong features) but since I've gotten older, people tell me i look younger. Too much makeup is a real giveaway on the age thing, I guess.

Experiment, HAVE FUN. If you feel good, you LOOK good! PS: when i want to try a different color of lipgloss or eyeshadow for the rare occassion, I get the cheap stuff in a color as close to the good stuff as I like, then, if I don't like it, I'm only out a buck or two, instead of 7 or 8, LOL. I'm a tightwad single parent!

creekbank
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Yeah, here too, but we have a Stage, which is like Bealls, I guess it's the same owner. Anyway, they have a makeup counter. BUT, like I said, as far as everyday use, and price, cover girl makes a good product. Only problem I find with the "stay on all day" kind is that it gets cakey and crepe-y after a while. But everyone has different skin, so maybe not for you.
The best ABSOLUTE best mascara I've ever found...no joke....is L'Oreal Double Extend. Yeah, I know, sounds like a male enhancement product. But it works. VERY well. It's def worth the price, about 6 bucks here. The first step is the white stuff, put it on, let it dry, then the black mascara in the other end goes over the extended "white stuff" lashes. Takes a little practice to get it right. First couple of times I used it I resembled Tammy Faye Baker. but I got an old brush out of a different tube of mascara, washed and dried it, and while the white stuff is still damp I brush thru it like putting on mascara. When it's dry I use the color. If I am going to be working outside, I color the white stuff with my waterproof mascara.

Eyelash combs don't work very well with the white stuff, the clean mascara brush works better.

It really makes your lashes look huge but not clumpy. I just have fun with it!

Quoting lkane81:

Yea i dont want to cover them completely just kinda a light evener. Yes some things i start to liom papery or crinkle bad and powder does exaggerate things. But i also dont want to keep applying it once a day and thats it. No way will i get clinque the closest mall that would have it is at least a 100 miles away so not going to happen. Thinking if walgreens has a makeup counter thats the closest thin around here that would have a makeup counter. And like i said i dont want to spend a bunch of money.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)