Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thumb sucking!!! Help me!

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:14 AM
  • 210 Replies
Ok so my beautiful daughter is 6 1/2, she sucks her thumb more now than when she was an infant/toddler. I need some advice on how to get her to stop!!!

The thumb sucking hasn't caused any visible damage to her teeth yet, but I am sure it will soon.

I asked her doctor when she was 4 and they said it wasn't a problem until after age 5. Then we moved a few times and now she is 6!

I need help, thanks!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Two_Hearts
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:16 AM

My only thought was to put hot tabassco sauce on her thumb before she wakes up in the morning...but...my guess is that is a bad idea lol. 

Im not too sure what to tell you, my daughter never sucked her thumb..but i will bump this post for you!

lucydiamond
by LD on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:17 AM
My aunt puts nail polish remover on her DD's thumb.
AFWifeNMom
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Does that work? I imagine that you would need to do it every time they go to the bathroom or after washing their hands after eating. She is at school all day so that wouldn't work there.

I would like to find a way to teach her to not suck it, not jut make it taste gross. She is a very stubborn child and I think that she would still suck her thumb when the bad taste wasnt on.

Quoting lucydiamond:

lucydiamond
by LD on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:24 AM
She's homeschooled so she continuously applies it. It works, although she still tries it periodically. I don't know how you would stop it without making it taste bad. GL!

Quoting AFWifeNMom:

Does that work? I imagine that you would need to do it every time they go to the bathroom or after washing their hands after eating. She is at school all day so that wouldn't work there.

I would like to find a way to teach her to not suck it, not jut make it taste gross. She is a very stubborn child and I think that she would still suck her thumb when the bad taste wasnt on.

Quoting lucydiamond:

strictmomhere
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this
My daughter is 13 and still sucks it to fall asleep very annoying:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:25 AM
They make a bitter finger nail polish, that you can paint on, so it tastes gross everytime she puts it in het mouth. Otherwise idk. I only have a toddler, and he has just started sucking his fingers (which is weird, because he has never been a sucker before) so I dont have any real solutions yet
AFWifeNMom
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Thanks for the bump.

I am a little worried because my 2 year old just got rid of his pacifier and he is now starting to suck his thumb because he sees sissy do it. I don't want him to go from one habit to the other

Quoting Anonymous:

They make a bitter finger nail polish, that you can paint on, so it tastes gross everytime she puts it in het mouth. Otherwise idk. I only have a toddler, and he has just started sucking his fingers (which is weird, because he has never been a sucker before) so I dont have any real solutions yet

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:29 AM
My gosh thank thank you I am not alone !! What on earth can we do lol? Mine sucks her thumb more often than just falling asleep. It drives me insane. I feel like I hurt her feelings all the time when I tell her to stop. She says I'm embarrassed of her. She goes all day at school without doing it, I would think she could stop since she can do that.

Quoting strictmomhere:

My daughter is 13 and still sucks it to fall asleep very annoying:(

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:31 AM

My sister who is 22 still sometimes will wake up and have her thumb in her mouth. She does it in her sleep. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:31 AM
3 moms liked this
I'm 30 and I still suck my thumb. My mom tried everything. Nail polish, rewards, I even saw a psychologist. When I'm stressed I do it not like in front if people just in private. Sometimes I'm driving and not paying attention and I do it. I know its gross but I can't stop
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured