Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Thumb sucking!!! Help me!

Posted by   + Show Post
Ok so my beautiful daughter is 6 1/2, she sucks her thumb more now than when she was an infant/toddler. I need some advice on how to get her to stop!!!

The thumb sucking hasn't caused any visible damage to her teeth yet, but I am sure it will soon.

I asked her doctor when she was 4 and they said it wasn't a problem until after age 5. Then we moved a few times and now she is 6!

I need help, thanks!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Replies (201-210):
gamma3
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Have you tried putting her fingers in something bitter or some taste that she doesnt like?

mumkat
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM

My 7 year old son still does.  We have a really solid rule of no thumb sucking because you dont get your way, in public, or when you are NOT going to sleep.  He has always only sucked his thumb to get to sleep so that wont cause issues with his teeth.  Eventually they will grow out of it......

Anonymous
by Anonymous 45 on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

When I was little I sucked my thumb.  I grew out of it with out any one putting anything on it, etc.  I was older before I did but I did grow out of it.  My daughter is 9 she used to suck her thumb but she also grew out of it.  I am not sure I would put anything on their thumbs to make them stop.  I think the more attention they get about it the harder it will be for them to stop on their own.  Usually it is a comfort thing.  I did make rules for my daughter, she couldn't have her blankie and suck her thumb outside her room.  Made it her private thing.  Good luck!

sadiebug1228
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Go on etsy. Search under children's "thumb sucking" this woman on there makes these cloth thumb guards that's prevents them from sucking they're thumbs. I'm not sure if ur aware of etsy or what etsy is. Just go to etsy.com and search it.

Hope that helps!
Jettsmom2010
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:07 AM
It is comforting to her and no need to stop. I sucked my thumb almost 24/7 until I was 7 then only in private until 12. She will stop when she is ready. The more you try to stop her the more it will back fire and she will only hate you for it. My teeth are perfectly straight and I never needed braces. Sucking my thumb never physically hurt me and not being pressured to stop didn't emotionally hurt me.
KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:15 AM

Here are some ideas, but mine is just turned 5 and she's worse about it too.   I'm afraid to try these things and fail because I had an older one that had poop and pee accidents for a long time and everything I tried actually made it worse.

anyway... onto the ideas I've read about...

1.   Dentists actually make a thumb guard that makes it harder to suck their thumbs...

2.  Duct tape "wings"... cut two thinner strips of duct tape, stick it to itself with her thumb in the middle so that there are flaps or "wings" on either side of her thumb.  Kinda a sensory approach...

3.  Bitter nail polish...  although some kids actually acquire a taste for it and it WILL wear off...

4.  Hot sauce or other bitter spray... although I don't recommend this.. other's have.  I've heard horror stories about children getting upset over the flavor, crying, rubbing their eyes, and getting it in their eyes so badly they've had to go have their eyes washed out by the ER docs.

5.   Reward charts...  for example, if she sucks her thumb a lot during her favorite TV show,  commit to watching her for a few days and reward (in small ways) if she can slow down or stop sucking her thumb during the show.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 46 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:24 AM
Kinda feel like my dd is gonna be like this & I'll be glad that's the 'worst' thing she does!

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm 30 and I still suck my thumb. My mom tried everything. Nail polish, rewards, I even saw a psychologist. When I'm stressed I do it not like in front if people just in private. Sometimes I'm driving and not paying attention and I do it. I know its gross but I can't stop

mattiehatter
by Mary on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:26 AM
Maybe when things settle down she will stop on her own.
laranadtony
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:39 AM

Quoting KrissyKC:

Here are some ideas, but mine is just turned 5 and she's worse about it too.   I'm afraid to try these things and fail because I had an older one that had poop and pee accidents for a long time and everything I tried actually made it worse.

anyway... onto the ideas I've read about...

1.   Dentists actually make a thumb guard that makes it harder to suck their thumbs...

2.  Duct tape "wings"... cut two thinner strips of duct tape, stick it to itself with her thumb in the middle so that there are flaps or "wings" on either side of her thumb.  Kinda a sensory approach...

3.  Bitter nail polish...  although some kids actually acquire a taste for it and it WILL wear off...

4.  Hot sauce or other bitter spray... although I don't recommend this.. other's have.  I've heard horror stories about children getting upset over the flavor, crying, rubbing their eyes, and getting it in their eyes so badly they've had to go have their eyes washed out by the ER docs.

5.   Reward charts...  for example, if she sucks her thumb a lot during her favorite TV show,  commit to watching her for a few days and reward (in small ways) if she can slow down or stop sucking her thumb during the show.

If she is a true thumbsucker. 2,3 and 4 are NOT going to work.

Don't sweat the petty things;Don't pet the sweaty things!

noel1978
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:18 AM

truthfully i think drs are quacks when it comes to thumb sucking! our middle daughter is 8 and still sucks her thumb. right now she's only been doing it at home and only when she's upset. but we've tried everything in the spice rack and still she keeps sucking it. we tried every form of hot sause and it still dodn't break her. i know walgreens has this thing called thumb stop, we haven't tried it yet. but good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)