Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

High functioning Aspergers!!!?? Say what??? What about you mom's with kids with Aspergers?

Posted by   + Show Post

My DD (6 yrs old) teacher (who I am friends with and trust) says she has signs of very high functioning aspergers.  I have been playing phone tag and the waiting game with her doctor for a weel now.  I'm getting really pissed.  In the meantime I thought I would get some advise from you ladies.  For those with kids with Aspergers what were the signs for your child?

Are you on the Weight Watchers program? This is a group for support through your weight loss journey. No judging or drama here!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/118404

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Bumps are to keep posts alive

Quoting cutiesexy66:

Well for all the mom's with answers like bump and shrug that's very immature. She's here looking for answers. And here is my answer I have a 15 year old son who's very high functioning with Aspergers and it's so hard. My son we have to cut all the tags out his clothes, He don't have social skills at all, he don't play well with other kids his age, he don't watch TVs Or play his video games, he has major melt Downs over what I think is simple things. He can't learn like normal kids and has a iq of 60..........stay on the doctor until u reach them.......

pinkfairy0206
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:43 AM
I'm in the same boat as you! I've been on a roller coaster ride with drs and back and forth for over 2 yrs! I'm so fed up. My daughter is 5 now and is in pre-k gets services speech,pt ot and psychologist. But still no answers. They say they don't want to give her a diagnosis of pdd because it is to wide a variety of autism??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

They are bumping it, because a thread can easily be lost in this big forum, relegated to the 4th page in a minute or less if the activity is high.

The bumps were actually HELPING. Not everyone knows about aspergers, but they wanted to help, so they bump it in hopes someone who does know will see it.

You aren't very bright if you can't figure that out.

Quoting cutiesexy66:

Well for all the mom's with answers like bump and shrug that's very immature. She's here looking for answers. And here is my answer I have a 15 year old son who's very high functioning with Aspergers and it's so hard. My son we have to cut all the tags out his clothes, He don't have social skills at all, he don't play well with other kids his age, he don't watch TVs Or play his video games, he has major melt Downs over what I think is simple things. He can't learn like normal kids and has a iq of 60..........stay on the doctor until u reach them.......

KrazyLoveMommy
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Mine is 19 and he had all those symptoms too except the video games. At 6, he could only wear certain clothes, he was unable to do age appropriate things like get dressed, he couldn't make friends, he failed first grade, his reactions to things were over the top. .etc
My son has other issues as well and is not on the high end. In fact the doctor just told us he will never be able to live or care for himself on his own but I hope I could help a little. Keep on the doctors and school. These things can take time. .and trust your mom instincts!

Quoting cutiesexy66:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Gotta love the noobs!  Bumping a post helps to move it back to the top so that more people can answer her question!  It is a common courtesy to bump posts when you don't know the answer so that someone who can answer may see the post!

Quoting cutiesexy66:

Sweetest_Britt
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Is your child haven't issues/problems? if not, Im not sure I'd worry about "high functioning aspergers"

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:57 AM

What kinds of things is she noticing? Is it affecting her school? Her social life?

My daughter is Aspy among other things. She is painfully shy, and gets fixated on things. Like horses and tornadoes. OMG.... it's so annoying (she's fascinated, so it's a good thing... but it doesn't stop). I used to have to fight her to get in the tub, literally. When she was little she was so scared of the automatic flush toilets that she wet herself at school because she refused to use the toilet.... it wasn't an automatic flush one either.

If its not affecting her, I wouldn't worry about it. I think my niece has it because she is a very picky eater due to textures and is painfully shy. She's very smart and it is not affecting her school work or social life (she has a few very close friends), so I wouldn't say anything to her about it, but I think she might be. After I learned about it I KNEW my ex-husband was. LOL 

hopeym23
by J3 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Her social awareness is not good.  A child can be mean to her an she just doesn't get it.  Her schoolwork is amazing at times and at other times suffers because she has a hard time refocusing on another topic.  At other times what the teacher is saying has a hard time connecting with her.

Quoting lnrmom:

What kinds of things is she noticing? Is it affecting her school? Her social life?

My daughter is Aspy among other things. She is painfully shy, and gets fixated on things. Like horses and tornadoes. OMG.... it's so annoying (she's fascinated, so it's a good thing... but it doesn't stop). I used to have to fight her to get in the tub, literally. When she was little she was so scared of the automatic flush toilets that she wet herself at school because she refused to use the toilet.... it wasn't an automatic flush one either.

If its not affecting her, I wouldn't worry about it. I think my niece has it because she is a very picky eater due to textures and is painfully shy. She's very smart and it is not affecting her school work or social life (she has a few very close friends), so I wouldn't say anything to her about it, but I think she might be. After I learned about it I KNEW my ex-husband was. LOL 

Are you on the Weight Watchers program? This is a group for support through your weight loss journey. No judging or drama here!

hopeym23
by J3 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM

At school and socially yes

Quoting Sweetest_Britt:

Is your child haven't issues/problems? if not, Im not sure I'd worry about "high functioning aspergers"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:07 AM
4 moms liked this
Not trying to be rude, but an IQ of 60 is not considered "high functioning".

Quoting cutiesexy66:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN