Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

High functioning Aspergers!!!?? Say what??? What about you mom's with kids with Aspergers?

Posted by   + Show Post

My DD (6 yrs old) teacher (who I am friends with and trust) says she has signs of very high functioning aspergers.  I have been playing phone tag and the waiting game with her doctor for a weel now.  I'm getting really pissed.  In the meantime I thought I would get some advise from you ladies.  For those with kids with Aspergers what were the signs for your child?

Are you on the Weight Watchers program? This is a group for support through your weight loss journey. No judging or drama here!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/118404

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Replies (21-30):
lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Well, its very possible. What's going to happen is a series of tests that will determine if she has it. If she does, then they'll provide you with some assistance in teaching her social skills. But there's no magic pill or anything, just teaching her ways to cope with it.

It's ok. She just experiences life differently. It's not a death sentence. No worries momma. :)

Quoting hopeym23:

Her social awareness is not good.  A child can be mean to her an she just doesn't get it.  Her schoolwork is amazing at times and at other times suffers because she has a hard time refocusing on another topic.  At other times what the teacher is saying has a hard time connecting with her.

Quoting lnrmom:

What kinds of things is she noticing? Is it affecting her school? Her social life?

My daughter is Aspy among other things. She is painfully shy, and gets fixated on things. Like horses and tornadoes. OMG.... it's so annoying (she's fascinated, so it's a good thing... but it doesn't stop). I used to have to fight her to get in the tub, literally. When she was little she was so scared of the automatic flush toilets that she wet herself at school because she refused to use the toilet.... it wasn't an automatic flush one either.

If its not affecting her, I wouldn't worry about it. I think my niece has it because she is a very picky eater due to textures and is painfully shy. She's very smart and it is not affecting her school work or social life (she has a few very close friends), so I wouldn't say anything to her about it, but I think she might be. After I learned about it I KNEW my ex-husband was. LOL 

hopeym23
by J3 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I'm not too worried.  I just want answers.

Quoting lnrmom:

Well, its very possible. What's going to happen is a series of tests that will determine if she has it. If she does, then they'll provide you with some assistance in teaching her social skills. But there's no magic pill or anything, just teaching her ways to cope with it.

It's ok. She just experiences life differently. It's not a death sentence. No worries momma. :)

Quoting hopeym23:

Her social awareness is not good.  A child can be mean to her an she just doesn't get it.  Her schoolwork is amazing at times and at other times suffers because she has a hard time refocusing on another topic.  At other times what the teacher is saying has a hard time connecting with her.

Quoting lnrmom:

What kinds of things is she noticing? Is it affecting her school? Her social life?

My daughter is Aspy among other things. She is painfully shy, and gets fixated on things. Like horses and tornadoes. OMG.... it's so annoying (she's fascinated, so it's a good thing... but it doesn't stop). I used to have to fight her to get in the tub, literally. When she was little she was so scared of the automatic flush toilets that she wet herself at school because she refused to use the toilet.... it wasn't an automatic flush one either.

If its not affecting her, I wouldn't worry about it. I think my niece has it because she is a very picky eater due to textures and is painfully shy. She's very smart and it is not affecting her school work or social life (she has a few very close friends), so I wouldn't say anything to her about it, but I think she might be. After I learned about it I KNEW my ex-husband was. LOL 

Are you on the Weight Watchers program? This is a group for support through your weight loss journey. No judging or drama here!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:12 AM

nor is it autism, most autistics have normal to higher IQ's.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not trying to be rude, but an IQ of 60 is not considered "high functioning".

Quoting cutiesexy66:

Well for all the mom's with answers like bump and shrug that's very immature. She's here looking for answers. And here is my answer I have a 15 year old son who's very high functioning with Aspergers and it's so hard. My son we have to cut all the tags out his clothes, He don't have social skills at all, he don't play well with other kids his age, he don't watch TVs Or play his video games, he has major melt Downs over what I think is simple things. He can't learn like normal kids and has a iq of 60..........stay on the doctor until u reach them.......

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Trust me, I understand. My daughter was on an IEP because she was diagnosed as ADHD. I knew there was more going on, but they never tested her, and she was getting help in school, so I didn't really pay much attention to it. Then the school psychologist started talk ish to me because I refuse to medicate her. She didn't like the way it made her feel, and I didn't like the way it made me feel (I'm ADD too), so we chose not to medicate.  At that moment I was so pissed off that I went straight to my doctor and he made an appointment with a psychologist who did some testing, and asked the school to do IQ and other educational testing as well. It took a few months to get all the reports in, but I'm glad I did it. I really wanted to be prepared for high school.

Luckily in  high school she really blossomed and came into her own. She still has her quirks, but I love her and they make her the awesome girl that she is.

Quoting hopeym23:

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting hopeym23:

Quoting lnrmom:

TugBoatMama
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I just learned my oldest is only slightly off the spectrum. I know next to nothing about this so here's a bump. They told me he has several aspy tendencies but they aren't displayed often enough on a daily basis to fully be considered on the spectrum.

hopeym23
by J3 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Her teacher says she has a few quirks too but thinks she is "awesome" as she says.  She is probably the most unique kid in the class according to her teacher.  Her teacher works in horse therapy with autistic kids so she kows a bit about what she is talking about.

Quoting lnrmom:

Trust me, I understand. My daughter was on an IEP because she was diagnosed as ADHD. I knew there was more going on, but they never tested her, and she was getting help in school, so I didn't really pay much attention to it. Then the school psychologist started talk ish to me because I refuse to medicate her. She didn't like the way it made her feel, and I didn't like the way it made me feel (I'm ADD too), so we chose not to medicate.  At that moment I was so pissed off that I went straight to my doctor and he made an appointment with a psychologist who did some testing, and asked the school to do IQ and other educational testing as well. It took a few months to get all the reports in, but I'm glad I did it. I really wanted to be prepared for high school.

Luckily in  high school she really blossomed and came into her own. She still has her quirks, but I love her and they make her the awesome girl that she is.

Quoting hopeym23:

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting hopeym23:

Quoting lnrmom:

hopeym23
by J3 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I think this is what she will end up being.

Quoting TugBoatMama:

I just learned my oldest is only slightly off the spectrum. I know next to nothing about this so here's a bump. They told me he has several aspy tendencies but they aren't displayed often enough on a daily basis to fully be considered on the spectrum.

Toxic.Stardust
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:18 AM

lol, you're new here. the people replying with bump don't have any answers, so they're bumping her post back up to the top of the forum so more people will see it and maybe someone who has experience with Asperger's will reply.

Quoting cutiesexy66:

Well for all the mom's with answers like bump and shrug that's very immature. She's here looking for answers. And here is my answer I have a 15 year old son who's very high functioning with Aspergers and it's so hard. My son we have to cut all the tags out his clothes, He don't have social skills at all, he don't play well with other kids his age, he don't watch TVs Or play his video games, he has major melt Downs over what I think is simple things. He can't learn like normal kids and has a iq of 60..........stay on the doctor until u reach them.......

Toxic.Stardust
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I don't have any experience with Asperger's, but I would do what you're doing and talk with her doctor since a teacher can't diagnose her.

I will say though, that your DD in your siggy is adorable! She reminds me of this little girl on Doctor Who lol

mamabear0791
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I am a teacher of children with disabilities - many of whom have Autism and Asperger's. The things you have mentioned do sound similar to the problems my students face. 

One poster mentioned that she's not sure about the high-functioning Asperger's being high-functioning at all, putiing it at the bottom of the Autism spectrum. I'm not sure that is correct. My program readies student's for the job world, and the only ones that function well enough to complete the program are the higher functioning students - three of my students have Asperger's this year. Many also have higher IQs, also. Temple Grandin is one, Einstein is another, and there are many others. 

It may take a while for the diagnosis, but there are a couple of sites that may help you. I just googled it and came up with more things than I could ever read. One site to start with is autism-society.org

I wish you luck in finding answers for your DD

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN