Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

High functioning Aspergers!!!?? Say what??? What about you mom's with kids with Aspergers?

Posted by   + Show Post

My DD (6 yrs old) teacher (who I am friends with and trust) says she has signs of very high functioning aspergers.  I have been playing phone tag and the waiting game with her doctor for a weel now.  I'm getting really pissed.  In the meantime I thought I would get some advise from you ladies.  For those with kids with Aspergers what were the signs for your child?

Are you on the Weight Watchers program? This is a group for support through your weight loss journey. No judging or drama here!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/118404

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I read recently that most children with autism do score low on traditional IQ tests but that is more because the test is not a good indicator of their intelligence.  That being said, some kids with autism do have severe intellectual disabilities as well.  My 10 yo, intellectually, is around 3-4.

Quoting Anonymous:

nor is it autism, most autistics have normal to higher IQ's.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not trying to be rude, but an IQ of 60 is not considered "high functioning".

Quoting cutiesexy66:

Well for all the mom's with answers like bump and shrug that's very immature. She's here looking for answers. And here is my answer I have a 15 year old son who's very high functioning with Aspergers and it's so hard. My son we have to cut all the tags out his clothes, He don't have social skills at all, he don't play well with other kids his age, he don't watch TVs Or play his video games, he has major melt Downs over what I think is simple things. He can't learn like normal kids and has a iq of 60..........stay on the doctor until u reach them.......

hopeym23
by J3 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:30 AM

LOL Awwww thank you!

Quoting Toxic.Stardust:

I don't have any experience with Asperger's, but I would do what you're doing and talk with her doctor since a teacher can't diagnose her.

I will say though, that your DD in your siggy is adorable! She reminds me of this little girl on Doctor Who lol

Are you on the Weight Watchers program? This is a group for support through your weight loss journey. No judging or drama here!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/118404

Snoopybaby11
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I do not have a child with aspergers but I have been reading quit a bit about autism spectrum disorders lately since my 4 yr old is in the process of being evaluated for autism. From what Ive read about aspergers is that alot of children with it are very smart and have great memories. Alot tend to like rigid routines and can get upset if things in your daily routine are changed. When a child with aspergers becomes interested in somthing they get overly interested in it, talk about it constantly, learn all the facts about it etc and sometimes it can be hard to change the subject. They have a hard time picking up on social cues like if somes teasing them they may not even realize it or if someone uses sarcasm they dont understand it.  Most have a hard time making friends. There are autism groups on here where you may be able to get more information!

hopeym23
by J3 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:57 AM

BUMP!

edelweiss23
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this
My husband has asburgers syndrome.
He has had a very successful military career and next year will become a police officer when he gets his 20 year retirement letter from the army.

He has trouble socially, and I have had to teach him how to read social cues.

He is crazy smart and designed our house plans himself. The contractor was so excited, he wanted to use them for future houses.

He has a hard time realizing what not to say. Example, I was in the OR having a c section with our son, he asked the obgyn, " can you do a tummy tuck while you are in there" and didn't realize why I was upset.

If you need someone to talk to, feel free to messege me!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kerannmer
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:05 AM

NO teacher, friend or not, should be offering any kind of dx. If she has concerns, she should tell you she's seeing a difference in development and advise you to have your daughter's pedi check her out.

I am a high-functioning Aspie.

TeamTARDIS
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:08 AM
You do know that bump is actually helpful right? That it ensures a post stays at the top of the pile so people who have advice will see it.

Quoting cutiesexy66:

Well for all the mom's with answers like bump and shrug that's very immature. She's here looking for answers. And here is my answer I have a 15 year old son who's very high functioning with Aspergers and it's so hard. My son we have to cut all the tags out his clothes, He don't have social skills at all, he don't play well with other kids his age, he don't watch TVs Or play his video games, he has major melt Downs over what I think is simple things. He can't learn like normal kids and has a iq of 60..........stay on the doctor until u reach them.......

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:08 AM
My ds 15 has high functioning aspergers. With therapy he is in normal and iep classes as a freshman in high school. Is starting to make friends of his own age. Has learned some social cues but he does need some reminders. He is highly technical. He can rebuild computers and is currently creating his own video game. He is also highly intellectual but likes to debate us because he thinks he knows everything. We have our trials but since his diagnosis a mere 3 years ago he's made huge strides.
Kerannmer
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Lol. I am similar to your husband. Most people just think I'm a nerd. ;)

Quoting edelweiss23:

My husband has asburgers syndrome.
He has had a very successful military career and next year will become a police officer when he gets his 20 year retirement letter from the army.

He has trouble socially, and I have had to teach him how to read social cues.

He is crazy smart and designed our house plans himself. The contractor was so excited, he wanted to use them for future houses.

He has a hard time realizing what not to say. Example, I was in the OR having a c section with our son, he asked the obgyn, " can you do a tummy tuck while you are in there" and didn't realize why I was upset.

If you need someone to talk to, feel free to messege me!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Ugh. Like any of these "special snowflakes" need any more coddling.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)