Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

High functioning Aspergers!!!?? Say what??? What about you mom's with kids with Aspergers?

Posted by   + Show Post

My DD (6 yrs old) teacher (who I am friends with and trust) says she has signs of very high functioning aspergers.  I have been playing phone tag and the waiting game with her doctor for a weel now.  I'm getting really pissed.  In the meantime I thought I would get some advise from you ladies.  For those with kids with Aspergers what were the signs for your child?

Are you on the Weight Watchers program? This is a group for support through your weight loss journey. No judging or drama here!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/118404

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Replies (41-50):
Kerannmer
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, good morning, Asshole!  

Quoting Anonymous:

Ugh. Like any of these "special snowflakes" need any more coddling.

hopeym23
by J3 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM

That is basically what she did and I am following up with her pedi now

Quoting Kerannmer:

NO teacher, friend or not, should be offering any kind of dx. If she has concerns, she should tell you she's seeing a difference in development and advise you to have your daughter's pedi check her out.

I am a high-functioning Aspie.

Are you on the Weight Watchers program? This is a group for support through your weight loss journey. No judging or drama here!

joyfullem
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:28 PM
My brother has it and his most obvious signs are social awkwardness, ocd and lack of a filter. He says whatever is on his mind and he uses words that most people wouldn't like instead of skin he says flesh and things like that. He I'd 18 and super sweet but he is very hard for people to u derstand
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM

there are different degrees of Autism so yes, there is a such thing as high functioning. Some Autistic children will live independently, some won't ever. Some have toileting issues, and speech issues, some don't.

Quoting Cassidysmom611:

If you are concerned call your Pediatrician. 

My 3 year old has "classic" autism. She didn't speak, make eye contact, respond, and had social issues. 

Aspergers is at the "lower" end of the Autism spectrum. I don't know if there is such a thing as high functioning Aspergers  but more so high functioning autism. 

hopeym23
by J3 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:37 PM

BUMP!

KyrinM
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Mostly social issues.  Failure to use eye contact, babbling incessantly about his interests without regards to whether anyone else was interested or not, very obscessive about those things.  Misses social cues entirely, failure to show empathy for others or able to understand when he is being emotionally hurtful to someone.  Very intelligent, but not a good communicator.  When unable to do a task he gets very upset & has a temper tantrum.  Any task that seems overwhelming results in failure to even attempt, & a tantrum.  Whiz in math & reading, short term memory problems, can't process information as quickly as others, but once it is processed doesn't forget. Lack of time awareness.  5 mins is just as long to him as an hour & vice versa, so he has learned to watch the clock.  It is a lot of little things that add up over time.  Having Asperger's doesn't make your child disabled or defective, just different.  They see the world differently, & sometimes surprisingly, some of the observations my son has made astound me with their wisdom & insight.  He is an amazing child.  So if your DD has Asperger's don't despair, it will be fine, she will just need some assistance occassionally to make it through.

hopeym23
by J3 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Thank you for the wonderful reply!

Quoting KyrinM:

Mostly social issues.  Failure to use eye contact, babbling incessantly about his interests without regards to whether anyone else was interested or not, very obscessive about those things.  Misses social cues entirely, failure to show empathy for others or able to understand when he is being emotionally hurtful to someone.  Very intelligent, but not a good communicator.  When unable to do a task he gets very upset & has a temper tantrum.  Any task that seems overwhelming results in failure to even attempt, & a tantrum.  Whiz in math & reading, short term memory problems, can't process information as quickly as others, but once it is processed doesn't forget. Lack of time awareness.  5 mins is just as long to him as an hour & vice versa, so he has learned to watch the clock.  It is a lot of little things that add up over time.  Having Asperger's doesn't make your child disabled or defective, just different.  They see the world differently, & sometimes surprisingly, some of the observations my son has made astound me with their wisdom & insight.  He is an amazing child.  So if your DD has Asperger's don't despair, it will be fine, she will just need some assistance occassionally to make it through.

Cassidysmom611
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I know there is High Functioning Autism, that is what I said. But, I don't think there is a high functioning level aof  actual aspergers. Aspergers is just a high functioning level of Autism.

Quoting Anonymous:

there are different degrees of Autism so yes, there is a such thing as high functioning. Some Autistic children will live independently, some won't ever. Some have toileting issues, and speech issues, some don't.

Quoting Cassidysmom611:

If you are concerned call your Pediatrician. 

My 3 year old has "classic" autism. She didn't speak, make eye contact, respond, and had social issues. 

Aspergers is at the "lower" end of the Autism spectrum. I don't know if there is such a thing as high functioning Aspergers  but more so high functioning autism. 

KyrinM
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I am also an Aspergers child & I wish I had the help learning how to cope socially that is available today.  I had to muddle through on my own.  Your attitude that autistic people are somehow inferior to yourself & shouldn't need help learning & coping with the "everyone should be a cookie cutter person" world we live in is rude.  If you have nothing productive to say, move along.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ugh. Like any of these "special snowflakes" need any more coddling.

ZakkarysMom
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:59 PM
What is pdd?

Quoting pinkfairy0206:

I'm in the same boat as you! I've been on a roller coaster ride with drs and back and forth for over 2 yrs! I'm so fed up. My daughter is 5 now and is in pre-k gets services speech,pt ot and psychologist. But still no answers. They say they don't want to give her a diagnosis of pdd because it is to wide a variety of autism??

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)