Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

High functioning Aspergers!!!?? Say what??? What about you mom's with kids with Aspergers?

Posted by   + Show Post

My DD (6 yrs old) teacher (who I am friends with and trust) says she has signs of very high functioning aspergers.  I have been playing phone tag and the waiting game with her doctor for a weel now.  I'm getting really pissed.  In the meantime I thought I would get some advise from you ladies.  For those with kids with Aspergers what were the signs for your child?

Are you on the Weight Watchers program? This is a group for support through your weight loss journey. No judging or drama here!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/118404

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Replies (61-64):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM

My son is PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder- Not other specified) almost aspergers. He lacks one or two traits to be diagnosed as Aspergers. 

Some of the things that led to this diagnosis. He is extremely bright. He is in 5th grade and scored in the 95-98th percentile on the Explore Test (8th grade version of the ACT). He is socially awkward. He tends to talk to and hang out with adults over kids his own age. He is obsessed with certain things. He also has to finish what he is doing or he will have a meltdown.( Example if they are walking laps to cool down at the end of gym. The teacher has to let him finish his lap vs making him stop with time is up.) He doesn't not do well with changes in his routine. His teachers usually send me a note to let me know if he is going to have a sub. He has trouble with team sports. He is also a bit clumsy, can't ride a bike. 

There are many more, but these are the things off the top of my head. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I don't know much about it, but I do believe asperger's can be high functioning.  I'm a math teacher.  I had a student with asperger's that was in my 8th grade advanced algebra class.  Academically, he was above the other students.  He just didn't have the social skills the other students did.  He would fart in class and announce it to everyone and he wasn't trying to be funny.  He just didn't know that wasn't socially unacceptable.

lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:47 PM

My son has Aspergers and like others have noted, one of the biggest indicators was his lack of social skills and inability to read social cues. He is obsessed with trains and certain movies and video games, even if he hasn't seen or played them, he wants to know everything about their development, story line, characters, etc.

He's very routine-driven and a disruption is difficult for him to handle.

He also has sensory issues -- he doesn't like to keep his nails very short because he doesn't like the way the tips of his fingers feel when things rub against them, like certain fabrics. The seams of socks have to be lined up correctly on his toes or it drives him crazy (I'm like this too though!) and if his clothing has tags, we have to cut them out because they bother him.

He was involved in horse therapy several years ago and it was fantastic! Unfortunately, his therapist moved out of the area and we haven't found another facility without a waiting list.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

hopeym23
by J3 on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:17 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)