Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Who has had their kids ears pierced at Clair's?

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:31 PM
  • 175 Replies
My 8 year old would like her ears pierced for her 9th birthday. She had them done at 4 at the peircing pagoda at the mall but we had a horrid experience. They were very uneven the lady missed the dot completely. The backs of the earrings fell off the same night and we had a hard time getting them back on. One earring even came out at night and she screamed blue murder when we tried to put it back in. The studs were way too short and smooshed her ears. She got 3 infections that were really bad, back to back even though we cleaned them. I took them out after the last infection finished draining and it looked like it was going to happen again. They healed up nicely and you can't tell they were ever pierced ( thankfully). Dh wanted her tongi to a professional piercer that uses needles but none of them will do a child's ears. Our pedi doesn't do them either. Our options are Clair's or pagoda again. So what was your experience with Clair's? Is the jewlery they use for peircing good quality?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IFartGlitter
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I had mine pierced at Claire's when I was 8. The first one, the gun jammed and got stuck and the piercer was yanking on it to get it free from my ear. AWFUL It hurt so much!! And yes, I got three or four infections within a couple of months. 

I had my belly button pierced at a jewlery seller (Silver Safari) at 15. They used a needle. Have you looked into places like that? 

Mommy_Natural
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:34 PM
I did when she was 3 months old, she slept through it! It was a good experience, but I hated the earrings. I bought her real gold earrings from a jewelry store at the mall and after piercing them the lady put the earrings I bought in. She is now 5 and her earrings still look great. ;)
momma4vr
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:34 PM

i worked for claires...

2BRBgirlz
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Don't do it.  I know a Manager for one, and the training they receive is inadequate.  Go to a tattoo/piercing parlour.  I know it sounds strange, but they are usually held to strict standards.  They guy who did my belly button years ago was actually a registered nurse.

Mainstream Moms
Come join us!!  No crunchiness!big smile mini

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:35 PM
I had to have mine re pierced and got it done there. They did a great job.
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:35 PM
And? Should I avoid them?

Quoting momma4vr:

i worked for claires...

redheadstar
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM

My 16 year old wanted me to take her to Claire's for months but always felt "it wasn't a place to go "  I prefer going to a reputable Jewelry store, like  I did with mine when I was young.

ittyprincess604
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM
I had my second holes done there when I was 13 because a family friend worked there. I didn't have a problem with the jewelry or anything. No daughters yet, well altleast none that have arrived lol
2BRBgirlz
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Am I right about the training being inadequate, or is my friend being dramatic when she says it is?

Quoting momma4vr:

i worked for claires...

Mainstream Moms
Come join us!!  No crunchiness!big smile mini

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Dd got hers done in Feb (for her 5th birthday) best experience ever! She talked her through it all, triple checked symmentry, even talked to dd when she cried. No problems since.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)