Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

UGH dont know what else to do!!!

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:07 PM
  • 20 Replies

We have been issues with our daughter.  She is great at school but at home she is flat out defiant.  We have tried everything and nothing has worked so far.  My grandma is staying with us for a few months and even she is at a loss at what to do.  We were all talking last night about putting her in Karate.  Has anyone one had issues with thier child being defiant and tried Karate?  Did it help?  She is almost 7 by the way.

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:10 PM
bump! i'd like to know too for ds
firemom5906
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

bump! i'd like to know too for ds

Glad to know I am not the only one.  It's that last thing I can think of to help. 

firemom5906
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:03 PM

BUMP!

NiCo86
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:05 PM

ah you're looking for an outlet? I think any physical extra curricular may be beneficial. Not just karate, but dance, or a sport that she might enjoy. I would encourage it :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Lol same here but the opposite. Good at home, horror at school. Put him in martial arts, 2 weeks in- I'm getting reports that he's kicking and punching the other kids! He went from smacking to punching.

I need to talk to his instructor. The first thing he said was if they use it at school, or in a bad way, they wouldn't be able to participate. I'm hoping he can talk to him about the appropriate use of martial arts, but if not, I may have to pull him and make him run more laps
firemom5906
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Quoting NiCo86:

ah you're looking for an outlet? I think any physical extra curricular may be beneficial. Not just karate, but dance, or a sport that she might enjoy. I would encourage it :)

Not really an outlet.  We do a lot of physical activities.  We spend most of the warm months (in the south that's a lot lol) out side hunting fishing and everything else we can.  More so something to teach her more discipline. I know she would enjoy it too but I am more looking for something that will help teach her that she has to respect her parents as much as she respects everyone else.  She is such a good kid in school and with anyone else but with us she just will NOT listen no matter what we do.  It is so frustrating when I know she knows better and that she doesn't act like this with anyone else. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM

little girls can be so much fun lol 

I would first try to talk to her. I would explain to her that this is our family and everyone in the family has a role. Her role is to be the daughter. And than I would tell her what a daughters role is. Also tell her what mommys role is and what daddys role is. Explain to her that when everyone follows their role than we all get along and we are all happy. 

Maybe you need to post the house rules somewhere. Make it simple though. just 3 -4 rules. She needs to be rewarded for her good behavior and redirected to the rules and her role when she is being defiant. 

Some people like the time outs. I am not a fan and it never worked for my kids. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:18 PM

he needs to be taught what his role is.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol same here but the opposite. Good at home, horror at school. Put him in martial arts, 2 weeks in- I'm getting reports that he's kicking and punching the other kids! He went from smacking to punching.

I need to talk to his instructor. The first thing he said was if they use it at school, or in a bad way, they wouldn't be able to participate. I'm hoping he can talk to him about the appropriate use of martial arts, but if not, I may have to pull him and make him run more laps

NiCo86
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM

It may be worth a shot, but since she already KNOWS how to behave properly (she exhibits this in school and with other people) the problem is at home. Not saying you're doing anything wrong, but she is choosing to act the way she does because she is benefiting some how.

But IDK Karate might be a good thing for her?!

Quoting firemom5906:

Quoting NiCo86:

Not really an outlet.  We do a lot of physical activities.  We spend most of the warm months (in the south that's a lot lol) out side hunting fishing and everything else we can.  More so something to teach her more discipline. I know she would enjoy it too but I am more looking for something that will help teach her that she has to respect her parents as much as she respects everyone else.  She is such a good kid in school and with anyone else but with us she just will NOT listen no matter what we do.  It is so frustrating when I know she knows better and that she doesn't act like this with anyone else. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:26 PM
What do you mean? Like in his martial arts, at home or at school? He wouldn't dare act like how he's acting at school, at home or anywhere in front of me. He gets the same punishment when he comes home from school, so I'm not sure what's going in with him. Right now, I'm trying to teach him 'if you wouldn't do it in front of your mom, then you probably shouldn't do it and rethink your actions'... Hasn't helped so far

Quoting Anonymous:

he needs to be taught what his role is.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)