Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my daughter is going to have to get a ''rake'' in her mouth.- update! replaced one habit with another...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 51 Replies
My 9 y.o. still sucks her thumb. Her whole mouth has formed AROUND it. I have tried EVERYTHING to get her to stop. I've been trying to get her to stop since she was three. I've tried Thumb Stop, hot sauce, special thumb gloves, and just telling her to take her thumb out of her mouth every time I see her do it, (she just puts it back in as soon as I'm not looking). I've also tried punishing her for it and offering rewards for not sucking her thumb, all to no avail. The dentist suggested this device called a ''rake'', that has little spikes on the roof of her mouth that are kind of at an angle so as not to bother her tongue.

We discussed it before and she promised to quit if we don't do that, but she still does it just as much, so she got fitted for it today. I feel bad cuz it's probably going to annoy her, and I hate to think what it's going to cost, but we HAVE to put a stop to this!

UPDATE!: She seems to be handling the rake OK, but now she's started doing this really annoying snapping thing. She'll stand there and just repeatedly snap her fingers on both hands. She never did this before the rake, but now she does it ALL the time! Still, it is better than the thumb sucking.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I never even heard of that. Can she take it out?  

Live.and.love
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this
You gotta do what's best for her in this case.She will still have a whole host of orthodontic issue to deal with later. Good luck.
Angelanscalf89
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:11 PM

can she take it out??

1CrazyCajun
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Wow, never even heard of that before.

Mainstream Moms Attached Parenting/Crunchy not quite your style?Come join other like minded moms.

Kelsmomma123
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:12 PM
My cousin had that. It made him stop. I sucked my thumb until I was in 5th grade I finally stopped when me and my older step sister had a spa day and I got fake nails and the lady told me if I sucked my thumb my nail would fall off because of fungus. LOL it freaked me out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:13 PM
No. There'd be no point if she could. She'd just take it out and ''lose'' it like the gloves. The dentist will remove it after maybe 2-4 months or so, when the habit is broken.

Quoting Thelmama:

I never even heard of that. Can she take it out?  

Cassidysmom611
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Do you know why she is still doing it?

Is she anxious, sad, etc?

I am just thinking, if there is an underlying emotional issue you may want to get that addressed first. Or atleast determine there isn't one.

edelweiss23
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:13 PM
I am having to do that with my 9 year old.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Well of you've tried the alternatives and it not only didn't work and her thumb sucking has now messed up her teeth then I won't judge you for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured