Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you make your teen get a job at 16?

My parents did. My mom took me to taco bell. I got hired on the spot. I worked there from 96 until January 1, 2000. My parent were always fighting so I was always at work. When I got paid my mom took my check and gave me 20 dollars. This lasted until I quite in 2000. I asked my mom what happened to my money. She told me it got spent. I work 60hours each week sometimes 80.

I would go from school work all night go back to school. Did the something over and over. On spring break or no school I would work from morning until night. Then start all over again. With my mom spending all my money
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Replies (101-110):
Lottie925
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:47 PM
It depends on the situation. Sh*t, I would demand that. Money back from your mom. What she I'd would only be acceptable if she was putting the money in a college fund or savings account.

I worked at 16 as a lifeguard. I worked though college in food services.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sjenkins8208
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:47 PM
I would make my teen get a job, but not to take their money! I'm sorry that happened to you. But if they aren't doing after school activities or sports or SOMETHING, they need to be doing something......just my opinion.
Lizard_Lina
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:49 PM
I had a job at 15. My dd is going to work as soon as she is old enough. She doesn't have to support the household but if she wants a car, and money to play with whenever she wants to do something with friends, she's going to at the very least contribute.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
soon2bmomof3619
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:55 PM

It depends, if they want to work, sure. If they chose to focus on school like I did, no.

I am so sorry your parents did that to you. it would have been fine if they were using say $50 a week towards household bills, and giving you $40 for what you need, then putting the rest away for you when you move out on your own. If my kids chose to work while they are in school that is what I'll do for them, so they will have something to fall back on, and they will know I'm doing it. I will have them help me determine how much they want to save.

WendyJR
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM

During the summers yes. Unless i felt they could handle school, extracurricular activities, and a job--but i would rather they not during the school year.

Sunshine201
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:58 PM

i didn't make my daughter get a job...but she is 16 and got the job herself...and she has her own money that she works for.Its great for me because she doesn't ask for money as much as she did before(for extra things like movies..out to eat..) but i still provide all her necessities.

Ajanee12
by That's What She Said on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I had to get one at 14.  I worked three jobs during HS. I kept all the money though.

peaches_04
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:01 PM
My parents gave us 25% and took the other 75% and put it in a school fund
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
marinenonstop
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Sure. I got a job at 16, however my money was MY money. I saved most of it. It taught me the value of a dollar and good work ethic. So i would def encourage my kids to get a job at 16.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sarah824
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I was made to get a job at 16, but I had to pay for my own gas and insurance for my car. I got to spend the rest how I wanted.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)