Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you make your teen get a job at 16?

My parents did. My mom took me to taco bell. I got hired on the spot. I worked there from 96 until January 1, 2000. My parent were always fighting so I was always at work. When I got paid my mom took my check and gave me 20 dollars. This lasted until I quite in 2000. I asked my mom what happened to my money. She told me it got spent. I work 60hours each week sometimes 80.

I would go from school work all night go back to school. Did the something over and over. On spring break or no school I would work from morning until night. Then start all over again. With my mom spending all my money
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Replies (11-20):
casah4
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM

No. I want them to concentrate on school.

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM

They can if they want to provided they maintain their grades and are active in their other activities. My DS is 17 and has a job at McDonald's. All of the money is his, he saves half and spends half. I had babysitting jobs beginning at age 12 and could do whatever I wanted with my money. I had a job at KFC at 16 and the same thing applied.

AF_Petite
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM
I would make her get a summer job. I got my first job when I was 15 at a dentist office. If you have connections even better! Builds up a good résumé! And she learns the value of money. I know I did!
tennisgal
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this

does he want a car, cell phone, fun money. then he better be finding a job.

I worked as a server thirty hours/week in high school and was still in honor's classes. i also played tennis. I still saw my friends on weekends and talked to them at school. I wanted to work. My parents never made me. 

wumbo
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM
Make, no. Encourage, yes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM

yup.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM

No you didn't, that's illegal and Taco Bell would have been caught and fined.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:21 PM

It depends on the child.  My son, at 16, was playing football, which in our area is a six day a week job from March 1st through December 1st.

kbutton24
by Mrs.Sima on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Yup. I did.
meagn3388
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Well yes I would, but not so I could take it. I would want them to save some but use the rest for what they want bc someday they'll be an adult and all their money will go towards their bills.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)