Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you make your teen get a job at 16?

My parents did. My mom took me to taco bell. I got hired on the spot. I worked there from 96 until January 1, 2000. My parent were always fighting so I was always at work. When I got paid my mom took my check and gave me 20 dollars. This lasted until I quite in 2000. I asked my mom what happened to my money. She told me it got spent. I work 60hours each week sometimes 80.

I would go from school work all night go back to school. Did the something over and over. On spring break or no school I would work from morning until night. Then start all over again. With my mom spending all my money
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Replies (21-30):
20Keller12
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:21 PM
2 moms liked this
I think it's a good way to teach responsibility. So I can't say I would force them, but I would stop paying for the extras they wanted. Needs would obviously be provided for but they can work for the money to buy that ipod, or fund a day at the mall, etc.
sarahfire
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Not like that no, and I sure wouldn't take their check, that's just wrong. I will tell my teens though that if they want certain things they are going to have to get a job and help pay for them. Ex. Car, cell phone, any other extras that we can't pay for like expensive clothes, etc.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I'd like my kids to get a job at 16 to learn responsibility of time management. Of course, before all, their schooling comes first so I'd say maybe working a night or two a week for awhile, and working par time in the summer for their own spending money and such. Nothing wrong with teaching kids some responsibility. 

BlueJane
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Nope. My parents said that while u was in HS I should concentrate on school. Once I was in university I had summer jobs.
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Yes I will. If they want to drive a car they will work.
rebeccarae
by Bec on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:21 PM
This. My son will at least work part time but he will keep every dime.

Quoting nomadbrat83:

My parents made my twin sis and I but never took our money. Our money was for pocket money and gas in our car and such.

imakehimscream
by He screams on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM
I was a teen who's parents didn't teach them shit. They wouldn't get me a checking account or even help me get a car

Quoting jenea2:

Wtf whyd you allow that

LucyHarper
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM

We don't make them, but they will do it if they want spending money. It isn't legal for a minor to work 60-80 hours a week though...

cupcake_mom
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Yes. and i will buy their car but they will pay insurance. i will buy school clothes but they will buy "going out" clothes or anything extra they want and dont really need. i will pay for their cell phone because i want them to have it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Yikes. I wanted to get a job at 16 so I could get a car. I was hired as a kennel girl at a vet and worked about 15 hours a week. Great schedule. Good job. It took me 5 months to save up $600 and bought a 12 year old Mustang that served me well until I went to college. I ended up working there off and on for 10 years, ending up as the full-time office manager. I liked being a tech more, but I was good with people, so they put me up front. 

I will encourage my dd to get a job if I think she can handle it. Since I was 16, I've only ever not had a job for 3 months one summer while I did a full load of summer school at college. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)