Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you make your teen get a job at 16?

My parents did. My mom took me to taco bell. I got hired on the spot. I worked there from 96 until January 1, 2000. My parent were always fighting so I was always at work. When I got paid my mom took my check and gave me 20 dollars. This lasted until I quite in 2000. I asked my mom what happened to my money. She told me it got spent. I work 60hours each week sometimes 80.

I would go from school work all night go back to school. Did the something over and over. On spring break or no school I would work from morning until night. Then start all over again. With my mom spending all my money
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Replies (31-40):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Force? No. Their job is to do well in school and enjoy the experience with extracurricular activities and hanging out with friends.

If they want to work, then they can but we will probably limit the amount of hours they can work.

They have their whole lives to work, they only get to be young once.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM

If they could handle it, they could....but I'd provide for them if they couldn't handle it

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I worked for my dad in highschool. Hopefully our kids can do the same thing. But only if they can handle it. Me and my younger sister are carbon copies of my father and could handle being busy all of the time without getting burned out. My middle sister couldn't handle it, so she didn't work until college, and even now she gets flustered if there's too much going on in her life- she's just like my mom lol.

KaitlynEileen
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I started working at 15 and have had a job since. My parents taught me you work for what you want. My son if he is not doing sports or some kind of activity, will have a job at 15, if not 16.
I'm not saying he can't have a life, but like a parttime retail job to teach him responsibility with money, and build up his work ethic
melschlegs
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I would make ds get a job, but only to buy video games or things he wants that aren't necessities. And, of course, to put into savings for college.  Of course, he would get gifts for Christmas and birthdays, but for the in between times.

Crafty8852

I don't see a problem with having a part time job at 16. I've been working since I was 14 legally and on a farm before that. I think it prepares them for the real world, time and money management, etc.

Fullmoon_Goddes
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM
This

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

nope. their job will be their schooling.

MrsApple
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I'll encourage her to get a summer job but I won't make her and I definitely won't keep the moeny she makes.

CatFishMom

I got a job a sixteen but my mother never took a penny. Thats crap. I dont know what I'll do with my kids, it'll just depend on them, their schooling, and our lives in general.

flcowgrl23
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM
My kids job until they graduate is school and activities. If they did well in school and wanted a job I wouldn't argue as long as it doesn't harm the important stuff.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)