Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you make your teen get a job at 16?

My parents did. My mom took me to taco bell. I got hired on the spot. I worked there from 96 until January 1, 2000. My parent were always fighting so I was always at work. When I got paid my mom took my check and gave me 20 dollars. This lasted until I quite in 2000. I asked my mom what happened to my money. She told me it got spent. I work 60hours each week sometimes 80.

I would go from school work all night go back to school. Did the something over and over. On spring break or no school I would work from morning until night. Then start all over again. With my mom spending all my money
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Replies (41-50):
nomadbrat83
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM
2 moms liked this
My parents wanted us to have s good work ethic and understand the value of a dollar earned. And as someone who works with juvenile offenders, I agree with the importance I teens working. And I worked and went to full time college at 16 and still got good grades.

Quoting rebeccarae:

This. My son will at least work part time but he will keep every dime.

Quoting nomadbrat83:

My parents made my twin sis and I but never took our money. Our money was for pocket money and gas in our car and such.

TheDoctorsWife
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:25 PM
I would encourage it, but not so I could take his money. It would be so he could learn to balence a busy life and manage money
opal10161973
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:25 PM

I won't make them, but if they want things like their own car or spending money, then they will have to earn it themselves. 

I would NEVER take their money and spend it.  How awful!  I'm sorry that happened to you.

Bri060492
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:25 PM

depends.

I rather have my teenager focusing on school and getting good grades.

The only way I would make my teen get a job and take their pay check is he got someone pregnant. He would get a job and there will be child support going to the child. I'd only take about 30% of his check to go to the child though.

TeamTARDIS
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. With 75% of their check going into savings. It is good to have a work ethic early in life. Nothing worse than a college student who has never worked for a second.
RedSoxWife
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:26 PM
I did and so will they. Their money is theirs to keep though. If they want trucks and cell phones and date money they'll find jobs.
Nicole1357
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:26 PM

This sounds like Dh's life..lol. That is what they did to him except worked at KFC. NO I will not do this to my children. 

_AmberRae_
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, I will be making my children get part-time jobs when they are 16. I won't take their paychecks but I will expect them to help pay for their car, cell phone, ect. I worked as a teenager and I learned a lot from it, plus I enjoyed having my own money.
FL2AK
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM
No, they can work if they want to. If they are busting their butts for good grades and playing sports I would rather that they not work.
nomadbrat83
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Why do so many think a child can't balance a part time job, school and extra-curriculars?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)