Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm so frustrated right now, I want to cry! (Vent, long)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies

All throughout my childhood I moved a lot and went to a bunch of crap schools. I wanted my DD to go to one school district throughout her school career starting with preschool. I found a beautiful house less than 5 minutes from an awesome school. Checked a district Map to make sure she would go to the school I wanted her in. We bought it and started to settle down. She has gone to the preschool in the district for the past two years made a bunch of friends and started to become a part of the community. Today was kindergarten registration day so I got all organized and excited that my little girl was about to start real school. Well, we go there today and find out the district map I looked at wasn't completely accurate and we live right in a "thumb" of the other district (the crap school here). I almost started crying at the registration department, I held it together though.

I don't know what to do because I don't want her to go to the other school and open registration is over for this school. I emailed the county auditor, the superintendent, the vice superintendent, and another person that I can't remember to see if we could have the district lines changed. I doubt that will happen but I might as well try. I just don't know what I can do to keep her with her friends. I don't have the money/credit to sell our house and buy a new one at the moment. 

Sorry this is all over the place, please excuse any errors. I just feel like my hopes and dreams are shattering at the moment. Maybe I'll look back and think I was silly for making such a big deal out of it but this is in the moment. I hold education and stability at a high place and this has turned me into an emotional wreck.

So far I think my options are: deal with the crap school until we can move, home school until we can move (I only don't want to do that because my DD is an only child and needs interaction with other children), rent some cheap studio in the school district and lie about owning a home outside of the district, or hope that we can change the district lines before summer is over.

/pout

Anyone know if there are and deadlines that I have to have her signed up for kindergarten by?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AJsMom81507
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:32 PM

have you NOT spoken to neighbors, or friends.  before buying the house we live in, we asked neighbors about ALL neighboring schools, because at anytime, schools close.

sorry your vent, but you didnt do a thorough check or speak to enough ppl

hismommy2010
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Use some one elses address so that she can go to that school..... Sure it's wrong but we will do anything for our kids...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:35 PM

No, I'm agoraphobic so I have a hard time with that. I know I should have done better now. I just wish I knew before now. This was my first time buying a house, I currently regret it.

Quoting AJsMom81507:

have you NOT spoken to neighbors, or friends.  before buying the house we live in, we asked neighbors about ALL neighboring schools, because at anytime, schools close.

sorry your vent, but you didnt do a thorough check or speak to enough ppl

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM

I'm highly considering buying/renting something super super cheap just for the address.

Quoting hismommy2010:

Use some one elses address so that she can go to that school..... Sure it's wrong but we will do anything for our kids...

AJsMom81507
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:37 PM

but when you register your child, they send you paper work from your district to where you need to go to register.  did you just go register where you wanted to, beause it is where you assumed and not to where the paperwork told you to go?

i know districts are different, but paperwork is paperwork

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Welll I know a family that live in one state but rent an apt int he next state over so their kids can go to good school.  Which since I have lived in both states I can understand why she does it.  The older kids are in privates schools there and her youngest has downs syndrome and is in the best public grade school in the area.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Why can't you get a district transfer ? I had to do that DD 25 for 4 years so she could attend a school not in our district . It was a big deal just a little paperwork & having the admids at each school sign off on it . Good luck
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:43 PM

The preschool she is in is a part of the district but you don't have to be in the district to go to the preschool. They gave us the paper work, I didn't even fathom that we weren't part of the district because we are in the middle of the map they provide on the district website. It seemed as though there was no way we could be outside of the district.

Quoting AJsMom81507:

but when you register your child, they send you paper work from your district to where you need to go to register.  did you just go register where you wanted to, beause it is where you assumed and not to where the paperwork told you to go?

i know districts are different, but paperwork is paperwork

ticking.clock
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:43 PM
When I was young my mom wanted me to go to a better school also...they just had her register me for the crapy school and then had her transfer me...basically she just did extra paper work and I never actually had to go to the other school. She did it for middle school and high school. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SamiJ18
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:46 PM
I'm sorry mama. School district was also what we looked at when we moved here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN