Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Jury Duty

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
I've got a letter in the mail calling me up for jury duty at the end of the month. What can I expect when I go?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:38 PM
If its in Chicago, a horrid commute, and a god awful long WASTE of a day.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:39 PM

no idea. i wrote a letter and got out of jury duty twice lol good luck.

cbk_mom3
by JayTayGma on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I had jury duty for the first time a couple months ago. All we did was mainly sit in the courtroom, wait to be called to be talked to by the judge and lawyers, and then go to lunch, go back, sit some more, and wait to see if we were gonna be placed on a jury. But, the judge told us after lunch that once a bunch of the cases heard they were sitting juries, they plead out or settled immediately. Not sure how true that was, but I didn't get seated and that was fine with me. Lost a whole day of work, and only got a 10 dollar check for going!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:42 PM

When I had Jury duty in Fort Worth, we sat in a room waiting to see if we were selected. I was selected to go to court for the lawyers to pick 12 of us. But I was scheduled for the next day. I had to come back and sit thru questioning, where I was not picked for the actual trial. 

It is the only time I was selected for jury duty and had to go to see if I was selected. The other 2 times, I got out of it. Once because I moved counties. The other becuase I was a full time student.

casah4
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:42 PM

A loooooong day.  Take some entertainment.

ihave1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I want a letter like that!  

My friend  got one and I believe at first they just ask you questions to see if you can actually qualify to do it for what they are looking for.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:44 PM

To be called in for Jury Duty DUH

It's pretty self explanatory.

If your number is called you go in and wait. They call up groups into the jury box and the defence lawyer and judge ask a million questions. Then they decide which jurors to keep and which ones to send home. If you're sent home you can still be called in the following day for a different case. It depends on how many cases they have that week. You may go in the first day and be dismissed and then done for the week or you may have to go several days. It all depends. You may not have to go at all if you have a high number and they fill all the spots within the first day. You have to call the phone number to find out who was called in.

Jury and Grand Jury are separate. Which ones were you called for?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

no idea. i wrote a letter and got out of jury duty twice lol good luck.

I'm wanting to get out of it but dont have a good reason to. I'm a sahm and my kids are in school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Just regular jury duty. From the questionnaire I got it sounds like personal injury.

Quoting Anonymous:

To be called in for Jury Duty DUH

It's pretty self explanatory.

If your number is called you go in and wait. They call up groups into the jury box and the defence lawyer and judge ask a million questions. Then they decide which jurors to keep and which ones to send home. If you sent home you can still be called in the following day for a different case. It depends on how many cases they have that week. You may go in the first day and be dismissed and then done for the week or you may have to go several days. It all depends. You may not have to go at all if you have a high number and the fill all the spots within the first day. You have to call the phone number to find out who was called in.

Jury and Grand Jury are separate. Which ones were you called for?

Beth3721
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Bring a book--or two.  There will be a lot of waiting in uncomfortable chairs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)