Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I have a terrible rude habit.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Whenever we are out my friends and I tend to speak to eachother in french so most people around us don't understand and we have a little more privacy.

that's all.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Replies (11-18):
GigantaursMommy
by MrsAwesomePants on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I don't think they are excluding people in their group I think what she's saying is that everyone in her group understands and speaks French but the other patrons of whatever venue they are in do not. 

Quoting CuriousArentYa:

Yep, rude habit. If I were out with you, I would leave. 

tifbrown
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:54 PM

My sil is pretty fluent in French. One time she was at the gym and some guys were speaking in French, making perverted comments about her. She walked up to them and told them off in French and they were stunned. I laughed so hard when she told me the story haha. You just never know who can speak it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I'm Canadian, I wouldn't speak about people in French because you don't know who speaks it, in Toronto most are Anglo, but you never know who remembers what from school and if they are fluent.  Like I said, MOST don't understand.

Quoting tifbrown:

My sil is pretty fluent in French. One time she was at the gym and some guys were speaking in French, making perverted comments about her. She walked up to them and told them off in French and they were stunned. I laughed so hard when she told me the story haha. You just never know who can speak it.

AF_Petite
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM
I do the same with my friends. Sometimes, we will switch from French to Spanish or Portuguese. I think as long as you're not talking bad about those around you, who you might not even know then there's nothing wrong with that. We all want privacy, even in public places.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ayshren
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I dont find that rude

CuriousArentYa
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I figured but I just wanted to cover the bases lol. Also, if it's just her group speaking French I do not find that rude at all. I do find it rude if there is somebody in their group that does not speak French and she does speak it to another friend, know what I mean?

Quoting GigantaursMommy:

I don't think they are excluding people in their group I think what she's saying is that everyone in her group understands and speaks French but the other patrons of whatever venue they are in do not. 

Quoting CuriousArentYa:

Yep, rude habit. If I were out with you, I would leave. 

tifbrown
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:57 PM

We are in Alberta, it's not overly common to have people here who speak fluent French. But, there are people who come here to work from all over the country, so there are some.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm Canadian, I wouldn't speak about people in French because you don't know who speaks it, in Toronto most are Anglo, but you never know who remembers what from school and if they are fluent.  Like I said, MOST don't understand.

Quoting tifbrown:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Same in Toronto, especially downtown in the fashion district.  I think the best was when we were told by someone to speak english or go back to where we came from and my sis and I were like 0.o... We're from here....

Quoting tifbrown:

We are in Alberta, it's not overly common to have people here who speak fluent French. But, there are people who come here to work from all over the country, so there are some.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting tifbrown:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)