Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you have a child with delays...

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM
  • 55 Replies
When did they catch up...or did they?

My son has motor and speech delays. He has caught up with most of his motor skills. His speech is still delayed. He has picked up about forty words in the past year, but he doesn't use many of them consistently. He also has a list of medical conditions. I've been told I'm guilty of neglect because my son hasn't improved in therapy. His therapists don't do much with him. They also definately don't do anything consistently. They talk to me throughout most of the therapy. My son has.spent the last two weeks with just me and has said a new word everyday.

Did your children outgrow their delay? How long did it take? Did you have good therapists? What was the best thing that worked?
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoddessNDaRuff
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:59 PM
My youngest had gross motor issues and he is pretty much caught up. He just can't put his own shirt on which I feel is a mixture between fear and just having a little trouble. He's 3.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TinaNicu
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Both boys are delayed but making progress. My oldest's progress is painfully slow. But my youngest is catching up quick. The quality of therapist does make an impact, but so does the parent. Even with the best therapy, progress can be slow depending on the cause of the delay

Jasuzha
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:46 PM

BUMP!

lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:58 PM
My son is a sweetheart and had made huge progress over the years and is on a 1.5 year to 3 year level and he is 20years old
CuriousArentYa
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:02 PM

My twins are d.d. and one of them has autism and hypersensitivity. The one that is just d.d. is almost completely caught up, he is in the second grade going into the third grade. He spends a lot of time in the mainstream class but sometimes he does get overwhelmed and goes back to the special ed class. I am hoping by middle school he is completely caught up. My other twin that has autism and hypersensitivity spends time in the first grade class room and is making great strides. I am hoping he will be caught up by high school. 

Jasuzha
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:29 PM

BUMP!

Jasuzha
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:22 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:23 AM
He is improving everyday, but at 10 years old he still is developmentally behind his peers.
Jasuzha
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:24 AM

BUMP!

garnet83
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:24 AM

My little one has a speech delay. No others. She is in therapy and has improved significantly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)