Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

so this means he has to go on the birth certificate????

Posted by   + Show Post

my df mom says that bc im still legally married my xdh has to go on the birth certificate even though he isnt the father. she said she even asked a lawyer! i think she is nuts but idk why she would make it up. someone please tell me something!!!!

xdh and i have been separated for 2 years. neither of us have the money right now for a divorce we are both expecting babies him at the end of august and me mid september plus we have our 2 we have together to take care of. neither of us mind we have both moved on we are friends with each other and each others so's. so no problems.

anyways is this really true????

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Replies (21-30):
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:16 PM
It most states your husband is presumed father but he can sign some sort of an affidavit that says he's not the dad
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama_Dolly
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM

who every the bio dad is should be on the certificate.... 

ladyhekuba
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:19 PM

My SIL got pregnant after she and my brother seperated. Her boyfriend signed the birth certificate since he knew he was the father. But if he wouldn't have signed it my brother would have been legally responsible for the child. Even though he was incarcerated at the time so there was no way he was the father. And in IN you cannot get a divorce if you are pregnant.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Here he just has to sign something stating he is not the father and the bio dad and you also sign it.
MaNdYbEaR2010
by *Manda* on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM
In Texas (where I live) that IS true UNLESS the bio father signs an AoP (acknowledgement of paternity) and the husband signs a denial of paternity. THEN bio dad can go on the birth certificate. It also makes divorce more complicated. I had to hire a lawyer to hash out a "custody agreement" between my ex husband, baby's bio dad and myself. And all that went into the divorce papers. Your mom is right. Contact a lawyer to see what you need to do in your state.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MaNdYbEaR2010
by *Manda* on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:21 PM
No. She'll have to go in and fix it later when she tries to get a divorce. Btdt.

Quoting Anonymous:

In most states legally he's the father but I would fill it out with the biological father and go from there.
just1moremeans4
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:22 PM
unfortunately she is right! this almost happened with me and my oldest. i was legally separated and just barely got my divorce finalized when my son was born bc he came early. a girl i worked with at the time informed me of it bc it did in fact happen to her! even her husband was like "hell no my name isn't going on that" and they went through a huge mess with it.
Quoting audreesmama:

In most states, yes. The legal husband is considered the father until either an affidavit of paternity is filed or a DNA test is done. The AoP should be able to be done at the hospital after delivery.

RandiBear
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:22 PM
http://info.dhhs.state.nc.us/olm/manuals/dss/cse/man/CSEcI-02.htm
Quoting -Mommy2Faith-:

my df mom says that bc im still legally married my xdh has to go on the birth certificate even though he isnt the father. she said she even asked a lawyer! i think she is nuts but idk why she would make it up. someone please tell me something!!!!

xdh and i have been separated for 2 years. neither of us have the money right now for a divorce we are both expecting babies him at the end of august and me mid september plus we have our 2 we have together to take care of. neither of us mind we have both moved on we are friends with each other and each others so's. so no problems.

anyways is this really true????

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:22 PM

she's crazy, it's a birth certificate not a marraige certificate.

MommyofJustin
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM
In most states yes you have to til a paternity test is taken
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)