Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

so this means he has to go on the birth certificate????

Posted by   + Show Post

 my df mom says that bc im still legally married my xdh has to go on the birth certificate even though he isnt the father. she said she even asked a lawyer! i think she is nuts but idk why she would make it up. someone please tell me something!!!!

xdh and i have been separated for 2 years. neither of us have the money right now for a divorce we are both expecting babies him at the end of august and me mid september plus we have our 2 we have together to take care of. neither of us mind we have both moved on we are friends with each other and each others so's. so no problems.

anyways is this really true????


by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Replies (51-54):
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Where I live my ex had to sign a paper saying he wasn't the father and my bf signed the same paper saying he was and they put her dad's name on the bc.  It was called an acknowledgement of paternity or something like that.  Call the hospital, they were the ones that had the form here and just had me call my ex and have him come sign it.

by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Depends on your state...

I'm in WV and this situation happened to a coworker a few years ago.  She and DH were separated but not divorced and a year later, she was pregnant by her BF.  When she gave birth, she was still married and his name had to go on the birth certificate until she had a DNA test done, proving the baby was BFs.  

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:23 PM

 he said we should be divorced by the time the baby gets here but some mamas are saying in some states u cant get divorced while prego. btw im in NC. i dont even know where to begin with lawyers. i cant in no way afford one and neither can xh. thats why we havent gotten a divorce. so far he hasnt found nobody to do it under 500 bucks. all we wanna do is sign papers lol. hes engaged expecting a baby im engaged expecing a baby lol. we agree on everything and on custody and we really just wnna sign some stupid papers....why must it be soooo complicated lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Don't know about other states, but in SC any child born (maybe even born after divorce but conceived) while married is assumed to be a product of the marriage. That means that the legal husband is legally considered the baby's father & as such is the ONLY man who would be allowed to be on the birth certificate. It is NOT required that he be listed, however, & the mom has the option to leave that spot blank. Also means that the child MUST be included in divorce proceedings & (the decree) even if both parties acknowledge that the husband is NOT the father. 

I'd either call & ask a lawyer or ask your states dept of vital records. Good luck!



by Anonymous 16 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:26 PM
There is an extra form or something that you fill out here. Look up your state laws on it. Or call the hospital.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)