Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

interracial couples

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
I had no idea it was like this. I was worried about my white suburban family being rude to him (black), but I learned it goes both ways. If I don't always act nice and smile at his family, they've told me they'll assume it's because I'm racist. This is what THEY said- they assume I'm racist and if I don't prove myself, they'll always think that.
I want to cry. How naive of me to think racial barriers didn't exist. They do and his family will never accept me. I'll never be enough because I'm a white woman.

I'm sure not every family is like this. This one happens to be though, and it really sucks.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Xo.LOVES.Xo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Not really sure what to say...?

livingforthem83
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:56 PM
If you are with a black man how can you be racist?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:56 PM

When I was a child and through my teen years one of my best friends was a black male.  As children it wasn't so bad, although his mother hated that he had a crush on me...

As we moved into teenhood and late teenhood we'd be treated strangly.......  I don't get it..  We grew apart after his mom sent him to an all black college out of state..     Again because he was very close to me..   I never understood her fear of me, and I never will...   BUT, he's doing fantastic, and that's all that matters.

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

IFartGlitter
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I love my husband;s parents and they love me. But his sisters and other people give me  lot of negativity for not being hispanic.

abigailsmommy11
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:57 PM

This attitude is because THEY are racist. Just be yourself and stand your ground, one day they'll at least respect you for it, even if they don't like you.

xanayda

Is this your neighbor? Or boyfriend? I'm confused at the interracial couples title but it doesn't seem like you're in one.? Anyways it still sucks! :(

mom23heathens

My in laws aren't so extreme but i feel sometimes they treat me like I'm an alien, They ask me questions like " Do your people eat this, or do they do that? etc." But, They make all kinds of negative statements about "white people" and even "Mexican people" which I happen to be both.

disneyrose
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I wouldn't worry about what his family thinks, or what anyone else thinks.  If you two love each other then live your own lives and be happy!  Life is just to short and there is no way you will please everyone, so you might as well be happy and please yourself.

My DH family dont like me, mainly cuz I am not white trash, never will be, I don't really give a rip we just live our lives for our family (we have a little boy) I figure they are the ones missing out, not me

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:58 PM
I'm not sure, but I feel very inadequate.

Quoting livingforthem83:

If you are with a black man how can you be racist?
bri2011
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Just be urself hun...if they dont like u...they just dont like u....their problem
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured