Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think I might cry!!

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:05 AM
  • 34 Replies

My parents bought this house two years ago, and this is the first year I've been able to work my magic on the vacant garden beds out back. The beds looked like they haven't seen the hand of a gardener in years, so I knew prepping them for planting this year would be rough, but I was excited nonetheless. 

The garden beds are in even worse shape than I thought. It's like the previous owners of the house deliberately tried to make the beds unusable! There's a layer of gravel 2-3 inches deep in all the beds, a breathtaking amount of dead pampas grass and small dead trees (my arms are torn up all to shit now, and I'm not even halfway through it all!), a severe infestation of pill bugs, slugs, and snails, and the wooden border (which I thought was ok until I started pulling out the gravel, revealing the underside of the wood) is rotten and infested with termites, so I'll have to rip it out and replace it. 

My mom agreed to buy me anything and everything I need to plant a garden this year, but my family refuses to lift a finger towards actual prepping and planting. Just getting the beds ready for planting is at least a two-person job!

I have been looking forward to this all winter, and I will not let the horticulturistic idiocy of the previous owners stop me! I WILL get this garden looking pretty again, even if I have to work on it from sun up to sun down! 

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ashley_Carlson
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Bump

ashley1693
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Hang in there. Its a lot of work but it will be so worth it. I'd love to have more space for gardening but since we rent I have to do everything in pots. I'm up to 21 different potted plants.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
reblprincess
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:29 AM

You might want to hire help for the prepping portion! good luck an I hope it all works out!

Ashley_Carlson
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:31 AM

I don't have the money to hire help (nor does my mom), but I have a few strong guy friends who might be able to lend a hand.

Quoting reblprincess:

You might want to hire help for the prepping portion! good luck an I hope it all works out!

SageAdvice
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:33 AM

you will enjoy everything that does grow 100% more after all your work..

I've been getting mine ready too.

Good luck

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Poor you... you are living in a house your parents bought.  You have to do the gardening all by yourself because no one wants to do it with you... all on your mom's dime.  Yes, I truly feel sorry for you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this
That's very rude of you. Her child just passed away

Quoting Anonymous:

Poor you... you are living in a house your parents bought.  You have to do the gardening all by yourself because no one wants to do it with you... all on your mom's dime.  Yes, I truly feel sorry for you.

thickmamaof2
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:38 AM
If I was there I'd help! I love gardening. I Hope you can get some help and enjoy your garden once its growing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ayshren
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:40 AM

I suck at gardening! Good luck though:)

Ashley_Carlson
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:41 AM

I'm thrilled to be able to FINALLY have a garden, but the previous owners of the house damn near succeeded in making the beds unusable. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured