Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why are you cooking??

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:00 AM
  • 35 Replies
The neighbor kids were over playing at my house today. I've posted about them before, but I'm sure nobody remembers. In a nutshell, they get put outside and left pretty much all the time. I wind up with them at my house a LOT. They're horribly neglected. I've called the cops on the parents before and nothing but a warning came of it.

Anyway, today they were playing with my kids when I started making dinner. The youngest (4) came in the kitchen and said "what are you doing?" I said "cooking dinner" he said "why are you cooking?" and I said "because we haven't eaten dinner yet" he asked "didn't your kids eat at school today?" And I said "well, yes. They ate lunch at school, but this is dinner." He gave me a weird look and said "what's dinner?".
I explained that dinner is the meal you eat in the evening before bedtime. He told me that they don't eat dinner.

What would you think of that? It made me sad for the kids, but it didn't seem to bother the little boy. As long as they get breakfast and lunch should I worry?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SageAdvice
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:03 AM
2 moms liked this

It's sad but the truth is LOTS of children do not get dinner.. that's why schools have added breakfast to free meal programs. Some kids are lucky that they have school because it's the only time they get to eat. It's also why there are now summer lunch programs at many schools.

CV3
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:03 AM

If they are not starving, I probably wouldnt worry. Maybe they call it something else.

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:05 AM
I've never heard of summer lunch programs. That's a really great idea.
Quoting SageAdvice:

It's sad but the truth is LOTS of children do not get dinner.. that's why schools have added breakfast to free meal programs. Some kids are lucky that they have school because it's the only time they get to eat. It's also why there are now summer lunch programs at many schools.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:08 AM
They're not starving although they did all come through the kitchen at some point and comment on how good it smelled and how they wish they could have some.

They may call it something else, but the little boy seemed completely perplexed that I was cooking in the evening.

Quoting CV3:

If they are not starving, I probably wouldnt worry. Maybe they call it something else.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KME3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:10 AM

:( 

BrighteyedAsh
by Ashley on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow. Sounds horrible!

Are you sure the kid wasn't being whimsical? My kid has a pretty wicked sense of humor that if you didn't know him, you'd have no idea he was joking. He seriously tells me "Huh? What's ________?" and playfully feigns ignorance. He does it really well, but it's about things I know he knows about. I should record it and show you! Lol. I can't even get mad, he gets his smart alec wit from me. Today, when I made dinner, I poured his drink and finished making his plate. He said "Mom, where's my drink? I'm thirsty" "On the table, honey...oh no...sorry right here." (was on the counter) without sounding either genuine or sarcastic...he asked "Did you think it transported itself to the table?" :inquisitive head tilt:

ETA: He's 5.

And it was said good naturedly, and in humor. Not meanly or with a hint of annoyance.

-_-
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:43 AM
2 moms liked this
I think id be calling someone and feeding that poor kid
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:43 AM
I guess that's always possible. I don't know him really well, but from what I do know he doesn't seem like that kind of kid. He follows me around a lot asking a million questions. He's very inquisitive. I feel bad for him because you can easily tell that I'm the only adult that ever pays him any attention.

Quoting BrighteyedAsh:

Wow. Sounds horrible!

Are you sure the kid wasn't being whimsical? My kid has a pretty wicked sense of humor that if you didn't know him, you'd have no idea he was joking. He seriously tells me "Huh? What's ________?" and playfully feigns ignorance. He does it really well, but it's about things I know he knows about. I should record it and show you! Lol. I can't even get mad, he gets his smart alec wit from me. Today, when I made dinner, I poured his drink and finished making his plate. He said "Mom, where's my drink? I'm thirsty" "On the table, honey...oh no...sorry right here." (was on the counter) without sounding either genuine or sarcastic...he asked "Did you think it transported itself to the table?" :inquisitive head tilt:

ETA: He's 5.

And it was said good naturedly, and in humor. Not meanly or with a hint of annoyance.

-_-
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM
My husband and I have considered calling cps, but we want to make sure we have good reason first. Right now it's just speculation and hearsay.

Quoting svolkov:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paulswifey11
by TashaL on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Please don't wait. It may be too late

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

My husband and I have considered calling cps, but we want to make sure we have good reason first. Right now it's just speculation and hearsay.

Quoting svolkov:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)