Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i disowned my mentally ill child ...edit with question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 307 Replies
3 moms liked this

shes now 17 , in the state we live in shes concidered a adult and she knows it . At age 16 she went off her meds and refused therapy any more , she has been running absolutly wild doing really bad things there is to much to tell . The police wont do anything ive tried everything shes disapeared for days at a time doing drugs and having sex with anyone that will have her . My husband moved out and took our small children with him because of her i agree the things shes doing are horrible and she was abusive to them . I had her arrested last week to try to wake her up after she punched holes in my wall , kicked in my bedroom door stole all my money and jewelry then put a knife through my wall .the lies she tells are unbelivable i cant go out of my house witthout people staring at me . well i had enough she called me to come get her where ever she was staying this week , i told her no she found her way there she can find her way back to the person she decided to go live with , then i told her i want nothing to do with her until shee comes to her senses and gets help . If this is the right thing to do why do i feel like a big piece of crap ? It just feels wrong to turn my back on my child, everyone who knows the situation says i should have done it along time ago i want help for her more than she wants it , hopefully she will wake up before its to late

what can be done were do you start to change these stupid kind of laws that takes away a parents right to get treatment for a diagnosed mentally ill child ?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:18 AM
13 moms liked this

imo, you didn't do the right thing. why not go get her and then take her to the psych ward..thats what she needs. if she is mentally ill and not taking her meds...she is not going to make the right choices and could end up either in jail, hurt or god forbid dead. this happened to a friend of mine in hs and her mom had had enough as well and instead of hanging in there and continuing to try and help her...she let her go. A week later, they found her dead in an abandoned apartment in the city.

littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:22 AM
21 moms liked this

you did the right thing because she is not making the right choices.  Psych. wards are only temporary.  I would know, I have had to deal with it with a family member.  They don't keep them long at all.  Insurances don't like to pay and they kick you out in less than 2 weeks. The psych. world is a disgrace anyway.  They just pump them with drugs and you are on your way.  No one is going to tell me otherwise.  They do NOTHING

littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:24 AM
11 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

imo, you didn't do the right thing. why not go get her and then take her to the psych ward..thats what she needs. if she is mentally ill and not taking her meds...she is not going to make the right choices and could end up either in jail, hurt or god forbid dead. this happened to a friend of mine in hs and her mom had had enough as well and instead of hanging in there and continuing to try and help her...she let her go. A week later, they found her dead in an abandoned apartment in the city.

hanging in there?  When people are that far gone, there is NOTHING you can do.  Believe me, I have been there.  The only one responsible for her death is HER, and no one else. I have dealt with mentally ill family members.  There is only so much you can do.

ShannonRoe
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:26 AM
10 moms liked this
U did the right thing. You have to protect urself and younger child. If she refuses to get help that she needs then there is nothing u can do for her, as littlelamb said psych wards don't do much but pump you full of drugs and kick you out after 2 weeks. When it all comes down to it your daughter has to make the choice to get better.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:27 AM
2 moms liked this

that's all you can pray for, is that she wakes up before its too late.  sorry you are going through this, but you are not alone.  you should definitely seek a support group for yourself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:28 AM

she was in a psych faciluty a year and a half ago , she has learned to play the game , ive tried to have her involintary commited 2 times in the last three months , she knows if she remains calm and polite infront of the er drs they will turn her loose and they did , the last time she sat in the back of the car and laughed all the way home and told me dont try it again bitch !

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:28 AM
3 moms liked this
I agree. You did the wrong thing. If she's mentally Ill and you have proof of abuse of the younger kids and she already has a history of mental instability, You could have gone to court and gotten her declare mental incompetent. Then you can make all her medical decisions for her and forced her into a facility to get the help she clearly needs. There is NO WAY IN HELL I would just give up on my child like you and you husband did. She should have gotten help the second she started abusing her younger siblings.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:32 AM

ive already tried all of that ! apparently in the state we live in she has more rights than i do , shes already been in a faciluty and yes in the begining i said i will never give up , im now hoping when she goes to court i can ask the judge to put her back in therapy

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree. You did the wrong thing. If she's mentally Ill and you have proof of abuse of the younger kids and she already has a history of mental instability, You could have gone to court and gotten her declare mental incompetent. Then you can make all her medical decisions for her and forced her into a facility to get the help she clearly needs. There is NO WAY IN HELL I would just give up on my child like you and you husband did. She should have gotten help the second she started abusing her younger siblings.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:34 AM
5 moms liked this
I am a clinical therapist working with children in an out patient mental health center and it is very very hard to have her committed if she is not an immediate danger to herself or others but if she has any criminal charged maybe you could work through the legal system and have her evaluated by a court clinician. This is very painful and agonizing, I am sorry.
krissy920
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:37 AM

My brother was exactly like this growing up. Hes got an extreme bi polar issue as well as a few others. he has no issues lying stealing and cheating to get what he wants and is a master manipulator. Since hes hit his 30's its slowed down  a ton. But it will never go away. He is convinced that he is normal and that everyone else is lying.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)