Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i disowned my mentally ill child ...edit with question

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

shes now 17 , in the state we live in shes concidered a adult and she knows it . At age 16 she went off her meds and refused therapy any more , she has been running absolutly wild doing really bad things there is to much to tell . The police wont do anything ive tried everything shes disapeared for days at a time doing drugs and having sex with anyone that will have her . My husband moved out and took our small children with him because of her i agree the things shes doing are horrible and she was abusive to them . I had her arrested last week to try to wake her up after she punched holes in my wall , kicked in my bedroom door stole all my money and jewelry then put a knife through my wall .the lies she tells are unbelivable i cant go out of my house witthout people staring at me . well i had enough she called me to come get her where ever she was staying this week , i told her no she found her way there she can find her way back to the person she decided to go live with , then i told her i want nothing to do with her until shee comes to her senses and gets help . If this is the right thing to do why do i feel like a big piece of crap ? It just feels wrong to turn my back on my child, everyone who knows the situation says i should have done it along time ago i want help for her more than she wants it , hopefully she will wake up before its to late

what can be done were do you start to change these stupid kind of laws that takes away a parents right to get treatment for a diagnosed mentally ill child ?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:14 AM
Replies (301-307):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 60 on May. 21, 2013 at 7:30 AM
You are a horrible person.

You've never had to deal with a mentally ill child before have you?

Smh at stupid people.

Quoting Anonymous:

You can go to prison for child endangerment. you know that right? 

SMH fucking idiot parents. 

Shouldnt have had kids in the firce place. 

STVUstudent
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Its a tough one... no one asks to have these kinds of mental issues, and as parents, most of us truly want what is best ofr our children- we want to take care of them, but when mental health issues figure in to it, well, sometimes, you just can't keep it together... 

Unfortunately, she is old enough to do what she wants, and there is nothing you can do to force a change of behavior.  You have other children, so you truly have a responsibility to keep them safe.  You can set boundaries, you can help her get help... there are programs to help... do you have a Community Services Board?  Try there, or your department of social services... that may be able to refer you to someone who can help. 

I would not disown her, but I would set limits on her... you may come home as long as you are in therapy and on your medication... and work withher and her doctor to find a medication plan that works for her... 

good luck, mama... this is one of those things we pray never happens...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 61 on May. 21, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I don't think you did the right thing BUT I have never been in this situation so I really cant say what I would do 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 55 on May. 21, 2013 at 1:52 PM

NO actually, my child is autistic, non verbal, and profoundly delayed and disabled. 

So thanks for the assumptions. 

But i ALSO know that disowning ANY CHILD makes you a horrible mother. 

If OP didnt want the struggles of motherhood, she should NOT Have had a child. 

End of story. 
You dont have to like my opinion.

Quoting Anonymous:

Smh at stupid people.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 21, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually you are a idiot , I also have a autistic child and he has started mimicing her behaviors , I know I have posted this along time ago and have had awhile to regroup my own sanity after dealing with this , there are a lot of things I've left out to keep this post short . You think I should let her physically continue to abuse my other children I have a responsibility to ? You think I haven't exhausted my every resource available to me ? Let me tell you something , I have done everything in my power to help this child and she don't want it , I will not allow her to continually abuse this family any longer ,me and my other children do have the right to go to sleep at night without having to lock our bedroom doors for fear that she will kill us in our sleep, I should keep trying to help a child who don't want it at the expense of the rest of my children ? No I don't think so , I've told her as soon as she decides she needs help she will be welcome and I will provide all nessacery treatment unfortunately she has to want it before it will help. 

Quoting Anonymous:

NO actually, my child is autistic, non verbal, and profoundly delayed and disabled. 

End of story. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Smh at stupid people.

Quoting Anonymous:

Destiny907
by on May. 21, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I think we should bring back Asylums.   Some mentally ill need to be behind locked doors.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 55 on May. 21, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Well of course you shouldnt just let her continue to abuse your other children! that is just stupid!

And i am NOT an idiot. But you calling me names just continues to affirm my opinion of you. 

I have nothing more to say to you. You continue to misconstrue my words and name call. I dont have time for crap like that. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Actually you are a idiot , I also have a autistic child and he has started mimicing her behaviors , I know I have posted this along time ago and have had awhile to regroup my own sanity after dealing with this , there are a lot of things I've left out to keep this post short . You think I should let her physically continue to abuse my other children I have a responsibility to ? You think I haven't exhausted my every resource available to me ? Let me tell you something , I have done everything in my power to help this child and she don't want it , I will not allow her to continually abuse this family any longer ,me and my other children do have the right to go to sleep at night without having to lock our bedroom doors for fear that she will kill us in our sleep, I should keep trying to help a child who don't want it at the expense of the rest of my children ? No I don't think so , I've told her as soon as she decides she needs help she will be welcome and I will provide all nessacery treatment unfortunately she has to want it before it will help. 

Quoting Anonymous:

End of story. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Smh at stupid people.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN