Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is Marijuana A 'Gateway' Drug?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 285 Replies

Poll

Question: will trying pot lead to trying worse drugs?

Options:

yes

no

don't care

i trust my child not to do those things

other, explain please

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 481

View Results

Do you think a teen trying a little pot will lead to more dangerous experimentation?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NVL0707
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:41 AM
No
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Islandmom2boys
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:44 AM

No

rockgal81
by Steph on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:45 AM
Nope
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lilyrose2011
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Noperz
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:47 AM
10 moms liked this

I think it can be. It really depends on the kid and why they are smoking pot in the first place. If they are doing it to battle depression or escape from life for any reason, yes its a gateway. I smoked a lot of pot in my younger years just because I was bored and it didnt lead to anything else.

IandLoveandYou
by Penny Lane on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:47 AM
4 moms liked this
Negative ghost rider.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
laranadtony
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:48 AM
5 moms liked this

Hell! Tylenol PM is a gateway drug so whether marijuana  is or is not is a moot point and a poor argument against it.

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:48 AM
3 moms liked this

No, and it's been proven that its not a gateway to other drugs, the only thing they could maybe link it to a gateway to is cigarettes. No, I don't want my kids using it as teens. I don't think teens brains are mature enough to handle an altered state of mind and make proper choices, like no getting behind the wheel of a car. I predict though that when my kids are adults it will be legal, so it will be there choice, I just pray they are responsible if they choose to use it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:48 AM
3 moms liked this

Absolutely YES!!!

Used drugs way back when and didn't know ANYONE who simply stopped at pot.  Some tried something else and didn't do it again (like acid), some got hooked on speed, but can't remember anyone who JUST DID POT.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:48 AM

it's hard for me to answer. for most I say no. the only time it becomes a gateway drug is when they start hanging out with the wrong crowd smoking pot. my friends and i started in hs...and when that started who we hung out with changed. they all started hanging out with "the pothead" group who also did alot of other harder drugs. I never got in with that crowd because i could just tell they were in to more stuff, and that is something i didnt want to be around. I think it depends on the person. all my friends (we were a tight knit group of 7 girls) all of them started hanging out with those guys and started getting into coke, ecstasy and other shit. I did not because i kept myself away from that group knowing what they were into.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)