Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Kids told no money, no lunch

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 192 Replies

Just saw this on tv. I made a post a while back about how I forgot to add money to my kids lunch accounts. They ended up having to eat free cheese sandwiches. I know- bad mom. But it really did get by me and my kids made sure I heard all about it when I picked them up from school...I haven't forgotten since.

But this school featured on tv let the kids starve the entire day if there's no money in their accounts. Even if they owed just 5 cents. The lunch ladies decided to do this.

Does your kids school offer a free lunch, sandwich or something if the lunch accounts are overdue?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:41 AM

My sons school allows you to go over 5 bucks. They send daily letters and give daily calls until its paid. I don't know what happens if you ignore all those warnings..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I would think all schools would have something available for kids to eat. Am I wrong? Not necessarily a warm lunch but atleast a sandwich.

ninjakids
by Christina on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Here there is no credit system. Either they buy lunch up front or pack a lunch
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ninjabubble
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:43 AM
When I was in high school, 3 years ago, if we didnt have money, no food. Same went for the middle school and elementary too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Logan_Bellasmom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:43 AM

They only allow you to go over so much but you can also do it online and it will email you when then kids are low on money so that you can add more to it. So i don't see how people forget.

hp2011
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:44 AM
When I was in school (class of 2007) we could go to like 5 dollars, maybe 4 before they told us no.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FoodIsLife
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

If we didn't have money we got two pieces of bread with a HUGE glob on peanut butter and then a small to go packet of jelly and a milk.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM
2 moms liked this
My child is not in school so I don't know how it works. With that being said a child does not starve by missing one meal or even two. Growing up if you forgot you lunch or money oh well you went without. It will not kill them.
Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM

No, they would have to call me and have me drop something off.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:46 AM
2 moms liked this

I think that it's horrible that those children went hungry.

I wish there was a solution to either get parents to pay or sign up for free lunches. There's got to be a better way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN