Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

2 stay at home parents????

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 40 Replies

Do any of you live in a household where both you and your spouse stay home? We just started this new arrangement about 6 months ago, and its been a bit of a learning curve. I'm really bossy and controlling about the way housework is done, so I prefer to just do it myself. Problem is, I get sooo lazy when he's here. His business only has him out of the house an average of 1 day a week, so I do get stuff done then, but when he's home there's virtually no schedule. Our kids aren't in school yet, so we don't even have that to schedule. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy being able to do whatever we want, whenever we want, but when we're not out of the house doing something, I feel like we're doing NOTHING. Its so hard for me to get used to, for the first few years of being a mother we were both workaholics. Seriously out of the house like 70 hours a week each, and many times at opposite times. So its like we're just learning how to be with each other 24 hours a day. I KNOW its the right choice for our family, we've been making so many awesome memories, I just can't for the life of me get used to at times doing nothing and enjoy it. Its like my mind wants to do something. How did you get used to both being home all the time???? Do you schedule your days?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VannaMae307
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I would strangle my husband by the end of the week. When he has a 4 day weekend we are 2 steps away from brawling when it comes to how things need to be done. lol

I understand you when you say you're both lazy when he's there. We do that too. The basement has been promised to be clean for 2 years now. When he's home he has to take a break. And another break. And another break. Usually those breaks involve watching a movie or show that we both enjoy. It really screws up the cleaning plans.

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM

My DH is gone 15 hrs a day 7days a week at the moment. As much as I hate to admit it, I get used to him not being home and doing everything myself, when I want and how I want. It's an adjustment when he's here. I feel like I can't get shit done when he's here either. That will probably just take time.

danie24
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM

My husband has a new job that has him home for 2 weeks straight every 2 weeks.

We don't schedule anything. We are always busy doing something as a family.. or doing something together as a couple.

We live in the country so we are always going walking and hiking.. or going for drives to the beach, etc.

I would LOVE it if my husband was home everyday! You are so lucky! :)

randomosityblog
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM

lol um no. Why would I do that?! Hellll no.

aidyns_mommy
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM
No advice. I am jealous though. You are very lucky.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM

It really does!! We were SO excited that we would now have time to do all of the house projects we've been wanting to accomplish. In 6 months we've painted 2 rooms and put flooring down in one. That's about 6 days worth of stuff for the entire 6 months :/ I really need to just take a chill pill and enjoy it like I should be, but its kind of hard for a super wound up stress ball like me to just get used to it at the snap of a finger lol.

Quoting VannaMae307:

I would strangle my husband by the end of the week. When he has a 4 day weekend we are 2 steps away from brawling when it comes to how things need to be done. lol

I understand you when you say you're both lazy when he's there. We do that too. The basement has been promised to be clean for 2 years now. When he's home he has to take a break. And another break. And another break. Usually those breaks involve watching a movie or show that we both enjoy. It really screws up the cleaning plans.

FoodIsLife
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM

This would be bad for us. I can't get stuff done when he's here...I just want to sit with him or do stuff with him all day instead of cleaning or doing things i'd normally do alone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:31 PM

We moved from the city to the country a little over a year ago in preparation for this! I'm sure it will be a ton of fun when the weathers nice, we love to go to the lake and fish and swim and stuff, we could spend all day everyday there. But we live in Pennsylvania, this arrangement started in Oct, so we haven't really gotten to do all of that stuff yet. Just look towards the future and make that a goal of yours if that's what you guys really want to do! If you would have asked me if we'd both be at home 7 years ago I would have told you that there's no way that could happen, so I feel really blessed that things have worked out this way! Now if only I can just turn my brain down a notch......lol

Quoting danie24:

My husband has a new job that has him home for 2 weeks straight every 2 weeks.

We don't schedule anything. We are always busy doing something as a family.. or doing something together as a couple.

We live in the country so we are always going walking and hiking.. or going for drives to the beach, etc.

I would LOVE it if my husband was home everyday! You are so lucky! :)

HappySquirrel
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM
I do and have been for two years now. It definitely is a major learning curve and what we had to do is set up times and chores and look around the house after lunch to see how far we were from our (my)standard of cleanliness then set goals on some days to get bugger projects done.p and work together until they are complete. Basically we are both up and moving around getting things done, until alk of the work is done, at which point we both relax. When we need to be with the kids, I will get some work done that I wanted one, then we tag out and I play with the little ones while he does some of his chores. It still has some bugs, but this is basically our strategy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by SakePrincess on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:33 PM

My husband lost his job about four and a half years ago.  He started doing consulting from home the next day.  I have an established business I work from home, so we are both here....almost every day.....

I cry a lot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN