Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

car service techinicans do treat women differently!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
I have always taken our car for oil changes. Everytime I have I've been told it needed a brake flush,power steering flush, transmission flush..they told me that the brake fluid was so bad my brakes would give out! Its been on all those papers they give you too

Well dh took it today. We both went. He had the day off and we had errands.

I.about fell out my chair when dude comes in and says everything checked good! I asked him about the brakes, the power steering and the transmission and he said nope. Its all good.

So we get home and I whip out all those old papers and sure as shit! I compare it aganist the new one. Dh just laughed.

I don't think it is too funny! I want to march back over there papers in hand and be like wtf?

We take it to the same place..and I know those services haven't been completed.

Needing changed my ass!
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:02 PM

yep, I had a service tech tell me that if I didn't change the timing belt on my car at 60k miles it voided the warranty

it is a 9 year old used car!

CoolRelax
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I take my car to the dealership, have them make a list then double check it with my mechanic cousin.  Because those guys WILL violate your wallet if you let them! 

ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Oh yeah...they figure most woen know less about cars and will approve things they say need done.

VannaMae307
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I notice it too. Thankfully I take it in only after dh has told me what is wrong. if they say anything more I know they're full of shit.

KKmommy3
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Yes, they will overcharge us for everything!  And tell us everything needs to be replaced, and they make sure to frighten us by saying it is unsafe if we don't do it right away, and they are sure to mention how there is a deal if you get it done today, but if you wait it will cost twice as much tomorrow.

I am on to them...

KKmommy3
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

when they see us coming they start singing "...roll out the barrel..."

Dungonecrazy
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:07 PM
This is why my dad made it a point that I knew at least the very basics of car care. He knew mechanic shops can be like that. Generally I do my own maintenance anyway, but there are times I've had to take my car in, and thanks to dad, I wouldn't allow myself to be screwed. If they claimed something was wrong I demanded to see the car, and where the problem was, stories soon changed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:07 PM

they always tell me that stuff too. I just tell them I have to check with my husband first and to just do the oil change and they shut up.

soy_latte
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:12 PM
We own a mechanic shop and my DF always jokes "Tell her we'll change her blinker fluid for $40 extra dollars." He doesn't really charge women (or unwitting men) for unnecessary repairs, though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Yup they're jerks. I inherited my moms ten year old car. The check engine light came on and it was time to take it through state inspection. Well I ended up paying almost $1,000 for those jerks to fix the front and back breaks and a vapor canister valve only for the mechanic to tell me to bring it in again before I take it through inspection because he was sure it wasn't going to pass. Mechanics really do think we're all stupid.  I pretty much told him to kick rocks, I'll take my chances.  It passed inspection without incident and one of the mechanic tools was found in the fold on the front hood of the car at the inspection station. Haha I pretty much paid for that damn tool so I kept it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN