Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am a bit of everything you anons love to hate

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:11 PM
  • 33 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have seen so many anons come on here to bash certain groups of women.  The sad part is I think they realize (or at least I hope they do) that the blanket generalizations are ridiculous since such a large site has women from many different places and backgrounds.

So let me tell you a bit about me and why the anons will love to hate on me :)

I grew up in a poor family.  Dad left mom for another woman when I was about 6 years old, leaving her with no job, no vehicle, a pile of bills and 2 kids in a single wide trailer in the middle of the country.  I was thankful I had my grandparents (who allowed us to live in the trailer that my grandpa bought) since they made sure that we always had food, clothes and a warm place to stay.  This even while my mom worked nights at a nursing home so that she could provide for my sister and I.  I remember that our favorite days were the first of the month.  That meant it was time for food stamps and we would come home to find the cabinets filled with food.  Mom would even buy extras so that she could put them aside in large blue bins which were stored in our closet just in case of an emergency.

I grew up knowing the worth of money.  I remember waking up cold at night because we ran out of propane, I remember watching my step dad walk out of the house with a baseball bat and chase off people who were going to repossess our car.  He later stepped up and started night classes to get his degree and a better job.  

For me, growing up was hard.  I knew what the stress of being poor and working hard to get no where did to my parents.  My father was not a big part of my life.  I am honestly happy for that.  I worked hard throughout my school career since I knew I didn't want to be where my parents were.  I graduated high school as a national honor society student and one of the top 10% of female graduates in my state.  I knew we didn't have money so I joined the military.  There I met my now ex husband who I married a month before graduating high school.  My naive teenage self thought that to get anywhere I had to be married (that was the basic consensus in the culture I grew up in).

After a few years of marriage that was hell due to emotional and psychological abuse, I cheated on him and then filed for divorce.  The affair gave me a reason and the courage to finally leave.  I am glad I did since he started getting physical with me after that.  

The rest of my life has been spent with my DH who just beat cancer in November, my DD and our dog.  We are not currently working but instead are going to school with our sights set on med school.  Yes we are on PA but not for much longer.  I have a disability compensation rating through the VA, we both get paid through our GI bills for school and DH will be getting his VA disability compensation soon (and when he does we will not be using PA anymore).  I was on the President' Honor Roll last semester and am a model student.  Things are far from perfect here but we are happy since we are making progress from where we both started.  

Some other specs:  I am pro-choice, I breastfed for 3 months then formula fed, I am Pagan and I am a liberal.  So much for the stereotypes that could have controlled my life early on.

So go ahead and bash away, ask me anything or do whatever.

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blues_pagan
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Oh and we are gun advocates and owners.

AlekD
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Bored?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atyou
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:15 PM
3 moms liked this
I cant say I "hate on you" but I can tell you why your posts almost always come across as offensive, to me. It's your delivery....not your content. Whether you can see it or not, you usually come across as looking down your nose at people....most times, to me.

Just my two cents.
blues_pagan
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Very lol.  I have the house to myself right now since DH took DD to do a trash run and said he may take her out for a little brunch at their favorite diner.  That and I am tired of anons stereotyping women here.  

Quoting AlekD:

Bored?

blues_pagan
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Then I think you are adding some tone that isn't there.  

Quoting atyou:

I cant say I "hate on you" but I can tell you why your posts almost always come across as offensive, to me. It's your delivery....not your content. Whether you can see it or not, you usually come across as looking down your nose at people....most times, to me.

Just my two cents.

atyou
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Perhaps.

That being said.....I think lots of people here must, too.

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting atyou:

Just my two cents.

AlekD
Thing is, literally everyone has things about them that people will hate on here. I have pretty much the opposite political values from you and I get bashed and stereotyped too.

At least they hate everyone pretty much equally, right?

Quoting blues_pagan:

Very lol.  I have the house to myself right now since DH took DD to do a trash run and said he may take her out for a little brunch at their favorite diner.  That and I am tired of anons stereotyping women here.  

Quoting AlekD:

Bored?

blues_pagan

Very true.  

Quoting AlekD:

Thing is, literally everyone has things about them that people will hate on here. I have pretty much the opposite political values from you and I get bashed and stereotyped too.

At least they hate everyone pretty much equally, right?

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting AlekD:

Bored?

blues_pagan
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Add the wrong tone to my posts?  Possibly.  Then again when I speak I am very straight forward, use proper grammar and have a decent vocabulary.  I think at times when people are like that it is misconstrued as being uptight or high and mighty.

Quoting atyou:

Perhaps.

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting atyou:

Just my two cents.

atyou
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I think you're unable to see it objectively.

And that is just the type of comment I'm talking about. It screams "I'm better than you!!!".

Quoting blues_pagan:

Add the wrong tone to my posts?  Possibly.  Then again when I speak I am very straight forward, use proper grammar and have a decent vocabulary.  I think at times when people are like that it is misconstrued as being uptight or high and mighty.

Quoting atyou:

Perhaps.

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting atyou:

Just my two cents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN