Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ever hit rockbottom financially?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies

What did you eat?

For 5 weeks,  we lived on P,B&J sammies,  and dollar store bologna/loaf of bread,  no Food Stamps or any govt assistance.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Yup, had to keep borrowing money from my younger brother for diapers and food for the kids. And to help pay bills. For 3 months it sucked.
LunieLoopen
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Ramen, cheese sandwhiches (with homemade bread), and salad (which was usually just lettuce and dressing). I hope we're never in that situation again, though, because I can't eat gluten any more. Also, it sucks worrying about how you're going to pay rent and getting that terrible "You have 3 days to pay or else EVICTION". That was about 4 years ago, though. I don't see it happening again.

xSPLENDIFEROUSx
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Before we had kids and were just starting out it was pbj and ramen all the time

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Right after I found out I was pregnant dh and I both lost our jobs. For a week all we had to eat was a box of croutons. God that sucked, things may not be great but at least I have food in the fridge now!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:53 PM

We have hit rock bottom right now, but luckily we plan ahead and keep food in the house.  There's been a few nights where we have just snacked on stuff but for the most part we get by.  It helps that I can write a check at the grocery store 2 days before I get paid and it won't clear the bank until after my DD goes through.  That's truly been our saving grace.

audreesmama
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Yep. It sucked. I ate once a day, if that, for two months until I got a job at a restaurant. Then I ate before shift and end of shift.

I ate a lot of beans and rice...cheap, filling foods. Not the best quality but better than starving to death. And I had no help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:56 PM

We only have $20 in checking for another 10 days, thanks to DH being STUPID with the budget I drew up!  JACKASS.

But, I always buy groceries the same day we get paid.  I don't know HOW DH managed this screw up, we normaly have $2,000 after bills, groceries, and savings.  I'm still sifting through the bank log, but he owned his mistake and handed me his debit card and credit card, promised not to TOUCH anything until I fix it.

So, we normally eat what we have.  Get creative with what is in the pantry and freezer.

I tend to buy a lot of canned goods, like tuna, fruit in water, corn, etc.  And dry goods like rice, noodles, and beans.  If we have a tight month, it's tuna sandwiches for lunch, canned fruit for breakfast, and a hearty rice, pasta, or bean dish for dinner.  Ground beef goes well with all those options, as does ham.

abecee
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Its never ben as bad in my adult life a it was as a child  As a child we often went a couple of days without eating.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Well I've been homeless and have slept in a train station for a time, so I would say yes, lol!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:00 PM

we have lived on ramen, grilled cheese sandwiches, eggs, beans and tortillas for months!....that was back in 2008/2009 when it sucked!!!!! but thankfully back then i also had my parents that helped us out a lil

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)